The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The One Nation sting was totally ethical > Comments

The One Nation sting was totally ethical : Comments

By Peter Bowden, published 6/5/2019

Covert policing is the last bastion of pure policing 'and is one of the best methods of getting the highest numbers of convictions.'

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
To ridicule people who are actually above your own mentality is positively dumm !
Posted by individual, Monday, 6 May 2019 9:19:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I find this article surprising given all the fuss in the US about Russian interference the the last US presidential election. It is obvious that the timing of the One Nation sting was all about seeking to damage its prospects in the current election.

So the author believes that it was OK for the Government of Qatar owned media network to be influencing an election in Australia.

Was it therefore ethical for the Russians to go after Hillary Clinton's Emails in an attempt to damage her chances in the US presidential election? If not, are we seeing a double standard whereby it was beyond the Pale for the Russians to seek to damage Hillary Clinton's election prospects but OK to seek to damage a conservative party in Australia.

Has the Australian Government been protesting to the government of Qatar? If not, why not?
Posted by Bren, Monday, 6 May 2019 10:33:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Don't forget: the author suffers from an extreme case of leftism.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 6 May 2019 10:38:46 PM
Neither the asking for covert donations nor the covert "policing" by media are ethical.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 7 May 2019 12:25:44 AM
Attacking Hanson is unwarranted attacking the working class. Attacking ALP/LNP is warranted.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 7 May 2019 7:15:15 AM
A guy walks up to a woman at a bar. The guy says, "What if I offer you a million dollars to sleep with me?" The woman has never had a million dollars in her life. She stops and considers the offer very seriously and accepts Guy changes his mind, says, "What if I change my offer to a dollar instead?" The woman is aghast, "What kind of woman do you think I am?" "We'd already figured that out. Now we're just negotiating"

The above is prime example of entrapment, where faced with a huge sum of money people can be enticed to do something that otherwise they would not consider. In the One Nation sting, $20m was waved in the face of the ON staffer who in return promised the earth.

That the sting was not illegal is not in dispute, claiming that it was ethical would require a very flexible set of ethics.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 7 May 2019 8:37:45 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy