The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Spiritual supposition > Comments

Spiritual supposition : Comments

By Ian Nance, published 18/4/2019

Some religions fool themselves. Can't they see that personal behavior, ethics, and morality all dwell in the domain of the individual?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All
Dear Not_Now.Soon,

I am sorry if this is the impression I give you.

I have good Christian friends, Catholic and Anglican, including clergy. I occasionally participate in their services, appreciating both great music and a good sermon and due to my fluency in Hebrew I am often asked, as part of the service, to read a psalm in its original language. It never bothers them that I am not a Christian: they support me and I support them.

At times I also incorporate Christian (and Jewish) chants in Hindu gatherings. This one is especially popular: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Ew4uxK8tg and this is a Jewish song I recently sang in an all-night-vigil on the holy night of Shivaratri in a Hindu temple: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSEmpabndKE

There are no two Gods, but there are many paths to the same, one and only God. My Christian friends understand this too: if you are already on a path to God, STAY THERE, otherwise choose a path that fits you, then follow it all the way. May God bless you.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 26 April 2019 4:37:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm sorry too, Yuyutsu.

I'm sorry for the criticism, and if I knew how to say it in a kinder way I hope that I would have done that. I'm glad you have friends in Christianity that welcome you, as well as in Hinduism welcome the influence you bring from Christianity. The conversations between faiths, in my opinion need to happen. Without that, I fear the polarization that influences so much evil in the world in the name of any religion.

However there is a second concern. In Christianity there's a philosophy to be in the world but not of it. With that in mind there's a balance to be welcoming, hospitable, and caring; while at the same time not to strip the heart and the lessons away from what makes Christianity, Christian.

I am sorry Yuyutsu. I like a lot of what you say. Both your perspective and your knack for turning the other cheek and focusing on a kind word. (Something I know I lack too often). So with that in mind, I'd like to hear your perspectives on the world or about Hinduism. I think there's a lot to learn from you. Regarding Christian texts though, I don't trust Hinduism to interpret Christianity. I don't know if you can relate to that or not. I would assume you wouldn't want Christian points to interpret Hindu values and teachings. But I could be wrong about that.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Monday, 29 April 2019 4:14:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ian,

<<some religions fool themselves when they fail to see that personal behavior, ethics, and morality all dwell in the domain of the individual – oneself.>>

I agree, but there are national implications. The Judeo-Christian world view confirms, 'Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people' (Proverbs 14:34).

This verse does not apply only to the Hebrew nation but 'a nation', i.e. any nation. There is no fence-sitting position. Righteous ethical standards exalt Australia while sinful standards are a disgrace to the Australian people. Which standards are being legislated in federal and state Australian parliaments today?

I realise there are difficulties with defining righteous behaviour in a permissive society when God is left out of the equation. However, the Christian world view in Scripture provides standards that are righteous (according to God's view).

Back in 1999, Chuck Colson and Nancy Pearcey wrote, 'The current cultural clash is not so much between three traditional worldviews—the Western world, the Islamic world, and the Confucian East—(their categorization), but within Western civilization itself, “between those who adhere to a Judeo-Christian framework and those who favor postmodernism and multiculturalism' (How Now Shall We Live? 1999:19), in http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13803600701473489

According to Psalm 107:33-34, 'He [the Lord] changes rivers into deserts, and springs of water into dry, thirsty land. He turns the fruitful land into salty wastelands, because of the wickedness of those who live there'.

That should ring a loud bell for Australia about what wickedness in the nation does.
Posted by OzSpen, Monday, 29 April 2019 7:58:20 AM
Dear Not_Now.Soon,

«In Christianity there's a philosophy to be in the world but not of it.»

Same for Hinduism, exactly the same!

«while at the same time not to strip the heart and the lessons away from what makes Christianity, Christian.»

Did you perchance mean, what makes YOU Christian?

You see, one could argue forever about the extent to which churches actually follow Christ, but nothing I could say would change that, so even though this is what you wrote, I presume that you were actually talking about the effects of my words on yourself. Is this correct?

What makes YOU Christian, what really matters, is the extent to which you are willing to sacrifice your pleasures and comforts for the love of God and others, in other words, to what extent you follow the path laid down by Jesus Christ. Now this is no longer a theory - this is tough! If possible, I would love to encourage you, I would love it if my words could influence you to follow that path.

«I would assume you wouldn't want Christian points to interpret Hindu values and teachings. But I could be wrong about that.»

I often find a good sermon by a Christian priest inspiring and reminding me of values, like the above, that are common with Hinduism. At times it can even bring me to tears.

I never of course accept sermons blindly just because I respect the preacher or just because it is written in the bible, but rather look at the merits of their contents and translate as necessary the terms in use to equivalent Hindu concepts.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 30 April 2019 12:55:27 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy