The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is Labor serious about electric vehicles? > Comments

Is Labor serious about electric vehicles? : Comments

By Alan Davies, published 9/4/2019

Labor's policy on electrical vehicles (EVs) is probably good politics but it offers little substance in support of its optimistic targets.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
There are a number of things to be considered.
Among them are the basic reasons for using a vehicle - is it for commuting to work, for carrying tools of trade, for travel as part of work, for shopping, for recreation, for distance travel to visit others?
The need for a vehicle determines its justification.

Then there is the question of distance to be travelled - this may be short city or suburban trips, or else long country driving.

For shorter trips, an electric vehicle could be suitable, but there is the problem with the recharging method used.
This could range from overnight charging, some ten or more hours, from a domestic power outlet to fast charging at a dedicated station, which could take around twenty minutes.
That compares poorly with the few minutes it takes to fuel a petrol or diesel car, and could possibly mean that electric vehicle users would have to queue for long periods at charging stations to await their turn.
There is the matter of charging station existence. At present, they are few and far between, meaning that some long trips over some routes are out of the question.

However, the use of hybrid vehicles would help with range, lower pollution, and independence of travel, meaning not being reliant on public transport over fixed routes only.

There are many factors to be considered, including the basic question raised by one commenter about whether other powering technologies such as hydrogen may emerge, rendering a move to electric cars as similarly outdated as the NBN's being supplanted by satellite innovation.
Posted by Ponder, Tuesday, 9 April 2019 6:36:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Want to know about the greenhouse effect?
Short description of the Greenhouse effect
The heat radiation through the surface of the Earth is easily absorbed by the carbon dioxide, ozone, methane, etc., of gas in the atmosphere. This makes the atmosphere warmer. The atmosphere of longwave radiation by the atmosphere is like a tactic in the glass house, which is called the “greenhouse” in the process of the atmosphere.
In this case, the sunlight can easily pass through the good glass, but the long wave rays cannot be crossed. As a result, the cottage is easily heated. Due to this reason, sunflower glasses are used in the glasshouse and flowers are cultivated. The house is called the Green House.
Posted by MISSION GEOGRAPHY, Wednesday, 10 April 2019 4:34:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Short description of Greenhouse effect
The heat radiation through the surface of the Earth is easily absorbed by the carbon dioxide, ozone, methane, etc., of gas in the atmosphere. This makes the atmosphere more warm. The atmosphere of long wave radiation by the atmosphere is like a tactic in the glass house, which is called the “green house” in the process of the atmosphere.
In this case, the sunlight can easily pass through the good glass, but the long wave rays can not be crossed. As a result the cottage is easily heated. Due to this reason, sunflower glasses are used in the glass house and flowers are cultivated. The house is called the Green House. visit for more http://greenhouseeffect.in
Posted by MISSION GEOGRAPHY, Wednesday, 10 April 2019 4:35:53 AM
The first thing to understand is that electric cars are not about
global warming and CO2.
A few years ago Royal Dutch Shell CEO announced that Shell had
undertaken a study on the way to exit the oil industry.
BP & Mobil confirmed they were examining the same subject.
A few years later over a year or two almost all car manufacturers
announced that they were changing their production to electric cars.

Is there a connection ? Well I certainly do not know, but just why
have they all made that decision ?

Someone that owns an EV has to manage his car usage. Those cars with
the largest range have it easier of course, but the average car user
seem to have no problems. Several people have driven EVs around
Australia and that is with no fast chargers available except in some
cities.
Several companies and motorists organisations are installing chargers
on highways as is Shell overseas. Shell have announced all Shell
stations world wide will have chargers installed.
As two friends of mine have demonstrated there is no problem for the
average usage of EVs. They just do all the normal things they did
with their previous cars, go to work, go shopping, visiting etc etc.
What some media are carrying on about is long distance travel.
After looking at the map there are chargers at Mittagong, Marulan
Goulburn, Yass, Queanbeyan and Canberra.
All cars now available can do Sydney to Canberra.
There are no fast chargers between Canberra and Wodonga as far as I
can see. However they are coming. Plenty of 240 volt sockets
available but they take a long time with your own charger.

Hasbeen, exchange battery businesses have been operating in the US
for while now. They remove dud cells and get them ready for the next customer.
Posted by Bazz, Wednesday, 10 April 2019 9:23:26 AM
I see that the Labor party is talking to Toyota about hydrogen fueled cars being manufactured in Australia, so don't run out and buy an obsolete battery powered car.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Wednesday, 10 April 2019 9:46:24 AM
Bazz, just because something can be done, does not make it a good idea to do it.

Of course it is not about global warming. In real terms it makes no difference to the global temperature which type of car you drive, the lifetime CO2 output is almost identical. Not that it matters how much CO2 they produce in the real world.

It probably resonates with dills like MISSION GEOGRAPHY, who are silly enough to have bought the full catastrophe from the warmists, but understand nothing of the story. If they are thick enough to leave the real warming gas, water vapour, out of their post, they are obviously just parroting what they have been primed with. I do wonder sometimes, if the greenies & lefties have a roster of people detailed to sprout their bulldust on blogs like this. Surely it can't be simply group think.

If you just look at cost, & raw materials consumed, electric cars are a bad idea, but so probably are mobile phones. If you take away the government using economic force to try to make a market for the things, they could find a small niche market for those with money to spare, & be acceptable. It is this coercion by lefties & greens to force us into the things that annoys me.

Electric is fine by me. I fly electric remote control planes & don't complain about the high cost & short life of LiPo batteries. They do the job I require of them, but I don't want a car with the things. Surely government has no place in forcing me into one.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 10 April 2019 12:03:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy