The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Was the controversial picture of AFLW player Tayla Harris merely a celebration of her athleticism? > Comments

Was the controversial picture of AFLW player Tayla Harris merely a celebration of her athleticism? : Comments

By Brendan O'Reilly, published 29/3/2019

The media has been virtually unanimous in its commentary. The photo has been widely applauded, while criticisms of it on the net have been almost universally condemned.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
“Be grateful that Australian women can go to school and play sport without a group of old farts moralising about the appropriateness of their behaviour.”

But “old farts” ARE “moralising” (your ignorant term for people who have strong moral views and values) so your statement is untrue. And not all people holding such views are old. While it might not be occurring in the circles you frequent, traditional morals and values are still being handed down through the generations by people who are aware that the West is on its last legs.

These people are a minority, it is true; and they have no delusions that they can stop or modify the increasingly crass behaviour and attitudes of the majority. But, they will be better prepared for the downfall if Western civilisation, which will be the inevitable result of the behaviour of those who sneer at “old farts” and traditional values
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 30 March 2019 7:00:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In places where the MOFs call the shots, women cannot go to school or play sport. Do you think such places superior civilisations? I think a half-educated and half-empowered population at a disadvantage.
Posted by Fester, Saturday, 30 March 2019 7:33:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yeah, Foxy. Men don't make sexual comments about men kicking their legs high in the air. I wonder why? Strangely, men like looking through "men's magazines" at naked females. I don't know why they do that, either.. I think that it has something to do with male sexuality. And male and female sexuality (shock, horror) just happens to be different, Foxy. Women don't buy magazines to look at naked men. The few magazines that pander to that particular taste are directed at homosexual men.

Men and women are different, Foxy. No matter how much you lefties don't want them to be in your idealised utopian fairyland.

If Tayla Harris puts herself in a position where males can look up the inside of her legs, then they are going to do just that because that is how their instincts work. You can bet that the photo in question came into prominence because the photographer instantly realised the marketability of the photo, that of a very fit and attractive female inadvertently displaying her sexuality. I first saw the photo in small scale on the internet news. Then later when I bought the Daily Telegraph newspaper, there on page three was a full page version of the photo with Tayla's genitals in closeup. This, of course, was accompanied by a hypocritical article saying just how terrible it was that trolls were saying naughty things about Tayla's sexuality.

It is just as stupid as football shows self righteously denouncing violence in football, while replaying a particular violent event, over and over and over again. Sometimes in slow motion so that the gleefully approving public can see the impact of fists, elbows and boots. It is pure tongue in cheek hypocrisy

The public loves violence and sex.

The moral puritans like Uncle Fester, Foxy and Aiden B. can moralise all they like about it. But the media bosses know what sells.

Which just goes to show that the worshippers of Mammon are a lot smarter than the moralising leftist finger waggers of today.
Posted by LEGO, Sunday, 31 March 2019 7:02:33 AM
Ttbn,

Are you linking your coming downfall of Western civilisation to women's equality ?

Do you realise how close your views on women's rights are to the backward views so prevalent amongst men in Islam ? Not to mention the backward views of sections of Christianity ? And Hinduism ? And in traditional societies ? Etc. ?

I would have thought that the development of women's rights - and equal rights generally - have gone hand-in-hand with the improvements in Western civilisation over the past millennium, particularly over the past fifty years. Surely that's what 'Western civilisation' means ? That's why it is miles ahead of pretty much any other form of civilisation ?

But if you want to couple 'civilisation' with the repression of women's rights, then - see you in the mosque.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Sunday, 31 March 2019 9:29:54 AM
LEGO,

You suggest that "The moral puritans like Uncle Fester, Foxy and Aiden B. can moralise all they like about it. But the media bosses know what sells."

I'm still trying to connect the dots on that one :) If anything, I would have thought that the "moral puritanism" of Uncle LEGO, Uncle Ttbn, etc. trounces that of Fester, Foxy and Aidan every time.

But my bad - of course, I now realise that a word or phrase means whatever you choose it to mean.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Sunday, 31 March 2019 9:34:38 AM
LEGO,

It looks like we touched a nerve.
Tsk, tsk. Whatever turns you on -old chap!
who are we to judge. After all
it's us "Lefties" who consistently point fingers
and do the name-calling on this forum. (smile).

Okkkkay!

As for women not buying men's mags?
Women buy whatever they want.
You need to get out more often mate.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 31 March 2019 10:49:37 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy