The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > George Pell and conservatism > Comments

George Pell and conservatism : Comments

By Peter Bowden, published 13/3/2019

The Catholic defence is perhaps understandable. But a bigger issue to this writer is why are all the conservatives supporting Pell?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Banjo, Thank you .The only worthwhile contribution so far to the question this article raised .You say:Andrew Bolt, Tony Abbott, John Howard, Miranda Devine and, of course, Cardinal George Pell – all share the same characteristics of classical narcism. The American Psychiatric Association has listed the classification narcissistic personality disorder in its Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) since 1968, drawing on the historical concept of megalomania
Posted by PeterBo, Saturday, 16 March 2019 4:20:18 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Narcissism is a pejorative. Let's apply that term to ALL (??) these people and pretend its scholarship.

"The American Psychiatric Association has listed the classification narcissistic personality disorder...."

Yes they have. They also have a thing called the Goldwater Rule which basically points out that its effectively impossible to diagnose this or any other disorder from afar. But alas....

Let's pretend all these people are narcissists as our local psychiatrists have determined. Does that go anywhere toward determining Pell's guilt or innocence. Oh, he's a narcissist so that proves that any allegation against him is true. Oh these others are narcissists so that means we can ignore and not bother to address any logic in their arguments. Is that really the level of thinking here fellas?
Posted by mhaze, Saturday, 16 March 2019 5:27:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
http://www.statnews.com/2018/06/28/goldwater-rule-broken-psychiatrists/
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 16 March 2019 9:57:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"A former Christian Brother who spent his 80th birthday behind bars as a convicted paedophile will immediately walk free from jail after his convictions were quashed on appeal.

A jury found John Francis Tyrrell guilty last year of 10 charges, including buggery and indecent assault.

At trial, a complainant alleged Mr Tyrrell abused him when he was aged between 10 and 12 at Geelong's St Joseph's College in 1965 and 1966.

Today, Court of Appeal Justices Stephen Kaye, Richard Niall and Mark Weinberg ordered Mr Tyrrell be acquitted of all charges.

The Justices found there to be “serious discrepancies between his [the complainant] version of events and the facts that were objectively established by the evidence.”
Posted by mhaze, Sunday, 17 March 2019 9:49:13 AM

Dear mhaze,

You wrote :

« Narcissism is a pejorative. »

Pejorative means “expressing contempt or disapproval” (OED). Most people would probably agree with you mhaze, but as Peter pointed out in his article, a certain number of so-called “conservatives” such as Andrew Bolt, Tony Abbott, John Howard and Miranda Devine all supported Cardinal George Pell, also a so-called “conservative”.

There are certainly no signs of disapproval among them and even less of contempt. Quite the contrary. Apparently, they are all pretty much in agreement. Like “birds of a feather [they] flock together”.

And, in my previous post, I suggested that they all shared the same characteristics of classical narcissism. That, I hasten to add, is just my personal opinion – not the diagnosis of a qualified psychologist or psychiatrist.

I understand that narcissism may have either a psychogenic or a biological origin. The psychogenic or psychological narcissism is described as “selfishness, involving a sense of entitlement, a lack of empathy, and a need for admiration, as characterizing a personality type”. Whereas the biological or psychiatric narcissism is defined as “self-centredness arising from failure to distinguish the self from external objects, either in very young babies or as a feature of mental disorder”.

The narcissism I had in mind as characterising our so-called “conservative” compatriots was, of course, that of psychogenic origin. People who are not members of their clique tend to find them somewhat haughty, arrogant and altogether despicable.

Nevertheless, psychogenic narcissism is a mental disorder. Just to what extent the person who harbours it may be held responsible for it is debateable.

The same goes for Nietzsche’s “desire for power” syndrome that I also mentioned in my previous post and which I also associate with our so-called “conservative” compatriots.

In my humble opinion, they all have it. I find them all rather unsympathetic, but I hesitate to hold them solely and completely responsible for their condition.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Sunday, 17 March 2019 10:46:40 AM
Dear Banjo,

Only a saint is completely devoid of narcissism. The rest of us have it in one degree or another, whether or not it is sufficiently overt to reach clinical proportions.

Young babies do not yet recognise the boundaries of their bodies. When an adult still fails to recognise these boundaries, then that is a mental disorder. However, when one no longer distinguishes between one's self (as opposed to one's body) and what we normally consider to be "external objects", but instead sees the same everywhere, when one realises that all is God and all distinctions are an illusion, then one is enlightened and finally free from the vicious cycle of birth and death.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 17 March 2019 11:49:31 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy