The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Coal is part of the solution in transition to new energy sources > Comments

Coal is part of the solution in transition to new energy sources : Comments

By Graham Young, published 6/3/2019

The cowardice of Australia's largest coal miner Glencore in bowing to activist pressure and capping its coal production torches the reputation of coal by implying coal mining is unethical.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Good to see such sensible comments on this article. Sorry, Taswegian, but I suppose you're typical of Tassie's tiny green heart.

>>I've just experienced 39C temps in autumn in SW Tas.

Yep, it's called weather. And we're now at only the sixth day of autumn.

>>The single biggest contributor to climate change is the burning of coal.

And your evidence is...?

>>That will allow other lower carbon substitutes to take its place.

At least it's good to see you favour nuclear generation.
Posted by calwest, Wednesday, 6 March 2019 2:33:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes calwest I do favour nuclear. If Merkel still runs Germany in 2022 it will be interesting to see if she unplugs the remaining nukes in favour of more coal or Russian gas.

Weather is when temps and rainfall stay within long established error bars. When they exceed them by a margin year after year that is climate change.
Posted by Taswegian, Wednesday, 6 March 2019 3:00:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Come on Taswegian, how about a bit of bidding.

I'll see your one day of 39, & raise you the snow you had yesterday, just 5 days after the end of summer.

You see, 2 can play your stupid game of talking one day events.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 6 March 2019 3:14:01 PM
Were I king for a day, I'd react to the Chinese embargo on our coal by cancelling all coal export licences. And ask those who want to remain? Turn it into methane gas we can use here, as our principle transport fuel.

And allow us to pocket the 26 billion plus we're currently forking out for fully imported fuel. Moreover, the transition to nuclear ought to be far sooner than fifty years, but in around seven. And for far-far less than coal, if it's MSR thorium.

However way it's spun, far-far safer than conventional nuclear power and far-far less costly than coal.

We here in Queensland should go first and then having created the cheapest energy in the world, start exporting it to southern states.

As we do so, extolling its virtues as carbon-free electricity! Plus its walk away safe, reliability and affordability! I mean, even if coal-fired power was transmitted at cost? MSR thorium could still undercut it.

Earn annual billions if a few of these plants were reserved for nuclear waste burners, even as they treated it as merely unspent fuel with years of thermal reaction and electricity left in them!

Moreover, for little or no cost given the annual income earned as waste disposal/burn. Could pay for all the essential infrastructure!

Finally, if we want to remove union involvement in either coal mines or power generation of the future?

They could be rolled out as union-free co-ops if that paradigm was facilitated and funded by government!

Not going to happen any other way!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 6 March 2019 4:00:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy