The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A former dean of St George’s cathedral runs afoul of the evangelicals > Comments

A former dean of St George’s cathedral runs afoul of the evangelicals : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 15/1/2019

Before we discuss the culture wars it is useful to examine the claim that the bible must be read literally ie without the aid of analogy and metaphor.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 22
  11. 23
  12. 24
  13. All
For the new OLO fundamentalist infestation highly religious Morrison, as his last act pre-May ousting,

should launch a Royal Commission Into Jesus Bones and Soul Trafficking.
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 16 January 2019 11:44:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
When I was a kid I used to watch The Mickey Mouse Club they had a segment called Tall Tales but True from the Legendary Past the Bible never rated a mention.
Its as tall a tale as I can think of though the book of Mormon gives it a good run for its money,Evangelicals, yes what can you say lots of Wealthy Pastors & hangers one,the US ones get the suckers to buy them Jet Aircraft, they love Israel but only because of the final battle & the 2nd coming of Christ so they say. Who I would say is supposed to have thrown the money changers out of the Temple what would he do to the Evangelicals & their money grubbing version of the Bible
there a good chance all these Christians would re crucify Him if he tried that stunt again, he had better come back in a western Country because if he lobs in Israel they will shoot him in the back of the head as they are doing now to Palestinian kids
Posted by John Ryan, Wednesday, 16 January 2019 12:53:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Very true JR

When I lived in Deep South Queensland there was a veritable sitcom of fundamental-as-anything preachers filling some very large, rich, new-money churches.

Major sermons of one mini-Billy Graham was his benefit package, bonuses, Car Plan (for a new Statesman) and leveraging parishioners into putting big notes and cheques into the bowl to buy land next door to further extend the Church empire.

Jesus, bless his bones and rightful vow of poverty, whould have chucked this religio-conman out on his ear.

I quickly left that Church Inc forever, with a clear conscience.

Cheers
(would go up in "The Good Place" http://youtu.be/RfBgT5djaQw )
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 16 January 2019 2:20:55 PM
Yep seems like if the church is wealthy the god deniers complain and if its poor they complain. Any excuse to excuse sin.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 16 January 2019 3:05:30 PM
Hi John Ryan

Re your reference to Israel, Palestine, etc

On the world Democracy Index 2018 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index comparing countries on five different categories measuring pluralism, civil liberties and political culture. Where the 1st is the most democratic.

I see Israel (30th) rates ahead of Belgium, Italy, Greece all countries in the Middle East and South Asia including and especially Israel's neighbours who largely rely on Sharia law on the informal community stoning, honour killing, level:

Lebanon - 106th

Jordan - 115th

Egypt - 127th

Syria - 166th

Now you'll say the figures are rigged by rich Jewish people. Nothing will change your mind.

But what the heck :)

Cheers
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 16 January 2019 3:22:01 PM
Runner,
I still do not have and answer to my question about the location of the bones of Jesus. It is all very well for you to read the resurrection stories as if they convey what really happened but, you must admit, it puts you in rather a difficult place.
Posted by Sells, Wednesday, 16 January 2019 4:34:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 22
  11. 23
  12. 24