The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Make-believe and celebrations: Christmas message ignored > Comments

Make-believe and celebrations: Christmas message ignored : Comments

By Spencer Gear, published 24/12/2018

Let's clear away some debris. December 25 is not the date of Jesus' birth. There is no biblical mention of the exact day of his birth.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Alan B,

You were the one who acknowledged your "limited reading of the Bible" in 'The Miracle of Christmas' thread: http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=20098&page=3 (Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 25 December 2018 12:28:50 PM).

Now you have the audacity to state:

<<After all, the only real differences [with other celebrations] are exclusively cultural and often the result of inculcated from birth, belief systems. Many of which are pure invention!>>

Are you concluding that the Christian faith is based on PURE INVENTION, based on your 'limited reading of the Bible'?
Posted by OzSpen, Wednesday, 26 December 2018 10:54:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ozpen, stop with the foam-flecked verbal. If you are going to quote me? Repeat what I actually said, which is, we are all the sons and daughters of God.

And all fallen angels. That there are only six degrees of difference in all of the human races. That the only real differences are cultural, often invention inculcated from birth.

Time control freaks like you so obviously are, were put back in your box. You rant and rave about homosexuality like a homophobic closet queen? Yet Like all fundamental fanatics avoid the fact that the church has a shame-filled history of paedophile priests, dating back through centuries.

Yet today would present themselves as paragons of virtue. And given holy authority over the masses! Even to the point of exercising control of how they vote, so as to swell the coffers of church-owned schools/establishments.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 26 December 2018 11:56:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To Alan B. You said.

//Time control freaks like you so obviously are, were put back in your box. You rant and rave about homosexuality like a homophobic closet queen? Yet Like all fundamental fanatics avoid the fact that the church has a shame-filled history of paedophile priests, dating back through centuries.//

What's this have to do with Christmas? Don't try to turn this into a shaming feast. Nor into a sport of insults. If OzSpen didn't get your quote right, or you can correct him so be it, leave it at that. Otherwise what you fill the thread with is of no merit and supports the observation that many only use any topic in Christianity to fill spread their hate towards Christianity or towards Christians.

Here's what you said that is close to the topic and to the topics that Oz said to you.

//Repeat what I actually said, which is, we are all the sons and daughters of God.

And all fallen angels. That there are only six degrees of difference in all of the human races. That the only real differences are cultural, often invention inculcated from birth. //

These points can be the topic without trying to drag OzSpen or Christianity through the mud. Just saying. Or do you believe that Christmas is to bring peace and goodwill to all of mankind, except in the exception of this discussion itself?
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Thursday, 27 December 2018 6:28:19 AM
Alan B,

You take the opportunity to dump vitriol on Christianity when Christian or Christianity is raised. I’ll not respond to your name calling.

<<< we are all the sons and daughters of God…. And all fallen angels….>>

From where did you gain that information? It’s not from Scripture!

Please quit using red herring logical fallacies by changing the topic to what you want to talk about – bashing Christianity, priests and other Christians.
Posted by OzSpen, Thursday, 27 December 2018 7:31:44 AM
NNS,

<< the observation that many only use any topic in Christianity to fill spread their hate towards Christianity or towards Christians.>>

This happens regularly with anti-Christian comments on OLO. Any mention of Christianity is ideal opportunity for antagonists to plant their feet on the throttle of lambasting Christianity. Too often this involves changing the topic – a red herring fallacy.

At Christmas and Easter I encounter all kinds of speculation about what happened to ‘cause’ these events. Opponents tend not to base their conclusions on the biblical text but on outside sources that don’t seem to tolerate biblical inspiration.

I wonder what would happen on OLO if a similar discriminatory approach was used against a pro-Islam or pro-diversity education article.
Posted by OzSpen, Thursday, 27 December 2018 7:43:53 AM
Alan B,
<< The message of Chrismas (sic) is peace and goodwill to all mankind!>>

Really?

Part of the message of Christmas is peace because the one born to the virgin Mary was ‘called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace’ (Isaiah 9:6).

This is what Scripture states:

“Look! The virgin will conceive a child!
She will give birth to a son,
and they will call him Immanuel,
which means ‘God is with us’” (Matthew 1:23).

So the message of Christmas includes Jesus who is ‘God with us’.

Further:

‘Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age” (Matthew 28:18-20).

What is the purpose of this Christmas message? As I indicated in the article, Jesus was born to die a sacrificial death for the sins of the world:

“It is this Good News that saves you if you continue to believe the message I told you….

"I passed on to you what was most important and what had also been passed on to me. Christ died for our sins, just as the Scriptures said. He was buried, and he was raised from the dead on the third day, just as the Scriptures said” (1 Corinthians 15:2-4).
Posted by OzSpen, Thursday, 27 December 2018 8:17:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy