The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Religious have no right to judgment on sexual orientation or gender identity > Comments

Religious have no right to judgment on sexual orientation or gender identity : Comments

By Robin Banks, Anja Hilkemeijer and Rodney Croome, published 6/12/2018

This means, for example, that a Jewish school can turn away a teacher if they are Christian, but not just because they are gay, transgender, Aboriginal or in a wheelchair.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. All
Toni, you know very well what NNS is trying to say, and by you trying to virtue shame him, does you no favour and only loses you cred.
Posted by ALTRAV, Saturday, 15 December 2018 10:44:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
NNS,

Here are two more links that you may find useful:

http://www.debate.org/opinions/is-teaching-children-religion-brainwashing

And -

http://theconversation.com/why-legislation-should-ban-schools-from-discriminating-against-lgbtiq-students-and-teachers-104940

ALTRAV,

A few more corrections:

1) I do not attempt to "sell" anything to anyone.
I provide information for them to make up their
own minds. In the case of NNS - I merely provided
examples of what he had asked for - which was
lived experiences of what people had gone through.

2) I am not pushing any "agenda." Merely answering
questions.

3) I do not throw "hissy fits." Reasoning works
better.

4) You should not make assumptions about people
you don't know - or their personal beliefs.

5) Nobody supports or likes an illogical and abusive
poster. Sound reasoning is what works.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 15 December 2018 10:52:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//Toni, you know very well what NNS is trying to say//

Yes, I do, because he helpfully wrote it down for us. Look, here it is again:

//It's just that instead of calling it indoctrination it's called education. Teaching kids things they probably don't want to know or see no point in studying. From math, history, geography//

He is claiming, quite unambiguously, that teaching mathematics is equivalent to indoctrination. But he's wrong; teaching maths is not indoctrination because mathematics isn't a form of doctrine. And if you agree with him that teaching mathematics is indoctrination, you're wrong too.

And I know you're going to flip out about being told you're wrong because you hold to the quaint belief that you are incapable of error. But in this case, both you and NNS are simply incorrect. Sorry, but that's how it is.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Saturday, 15 December 2018 11:13:22 AM
//and by you trying to virtue shame him//

Huh?
Posted by Toni Lavis, Saturday, 15 December 2018 11:14:41 AM
Foxy, wrong again.
When 'sound reasoning' doesn't work, or any kind of reasoning, we are dealing with an 'unreasonable' person, by definition.
And so it is absolutely imperative to ensure that person is brought back into the realm of reason, by 'any' means.
When the 'softly-softly' approach does not work, one must resort to more aggressive measures to attempt to achieve their goal or mission.
How would we reconcile, if we gave up on something because it was too hard, on initial contact.
And so it is I am so driven, even pedantic, about conveying the truth and nothing but the truth, so help me God.
First and foremost you must stop suggesting these links that you believe will help you make your case.
For every link you come up with I can find ten contradicting them.
They are self serving and puerile.
I know you can do better.
And finally, let others win a point every now and then.
We love you for being warm and cuddly and accommodating, but when you 'argue', yes argue with us, it's not a good look.
How about trying to see the other guys view for a change, maybe even correct him by way of suggesting that possibly he meant something else, and actually describing what you believe he really meant.
Anyway, love you, as always, and you know what they say 'you don't want to hurt the ones you love'.
Posted by ALTRAV, Saturday, 15 December 2018 11:21:30 AM
ALTRAV,

I have tried to present a balance in this discussion.

I even gave a link listing the pros and cons on this
issue.

You seem to think that unless someone agrees with you
they are wrong and you start with the insults and
name calling. As I stated earlier - that does not
work. It impresses no one.

Anyway, I have nothing further to add to this
discussion.

Enjoy your week-end.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 15 December 2018 12:18:01 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. All