The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Religious have no right to judgment on sexual orientation or gender identity > Comments

Religious have no right to judgment on sexual orientation or gender identity : Comments

By Robin Banks, Anja Hilkemeijer and Rodney Croome, published 6/12/2018

This means, for example, that a Jewish school can turn away a teacher if they are Christian, but not just because they are gay, transgender, Aboriginal or in a wheelchair.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17
  13. All
NNS,

There is so much on the web that you can find for
yourself regarding religious brainwashing and
various people's experiences. I will leave you to
do your own research on the subject. For me this
discussion has now run its course. I have no further wish
to continue to argue with anyone.

Take care.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 14 December 2018 6:55:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//Therefore the critism of brainwashing and indoctrination is holds no merit outside of select few examples of cult like movements from deranged individuals, not from Christian beliefs.//

Aye, no true Scotsman would brainwash kids, only deranged individuals.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 14 December 2018 8:34:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
NNS, pleased to see you also saw through that link Foxy attempted to 'sell' you.
You also got it right otherwise we must have colluded somehow.
So it is that once again Foxy, in her vane attempt at trying to push her agenda, just keeps on falling short.
I notice an unhealthy trend by her and her compatriots.
She/they make a statement,sometimes giving a link, which never completely backs her assertions, then has a hissy fit and shuts down when we find fault in her submission.
I must get closure on Hasbeens question about Queers being hired and working in Islamic schools.
It is not possible, the koran does not allow it.
I have seen no precedent where/why the Muslim elders would allow this when it clearly contradicts the koran.
Instead of Foxy adopting a mature, middle ground she cuts and runs.
I should hope she would have no further reason to argue with anyone, because we did not set out to 'argue', with anyone,
It is clear to those of us, not on the left, that Hasbeen was right, but because she is too proud and suffers from virtue shaming, amongst other things, she has left us all in the manner she has, she has lost a lot of cred, and I'm sure a lot of followers.
This kind of attitude and lack of reason is just some more very strong reasons NO-ONE has the right to question religion on their right to preach the word of God.
Whether anyone likes it or not.
Posted by ALTRAV, Saturday, 15 December 2018 2:47:05 AM
To Foxy.

I'm sorry but I didn't see the second link you posted before I gave my reply. So my reactions were mostly on the first article of the atheist writer taking his daughter to a catholic mission and not being able to understand or explain the religion.

To the second link, the author's Catholic teaching and being told about the fires of hell sounds closer to an example, and his talking about his conclusions joining the IRA in Ireland for the sake of Catholicism speaks of a possibility of more going on there then his example from if Catholic teacher. However his conclusion is off the mark. Hell is a hard topic, no doubt, but it is not child abuse, just frightening. Some other teachings commonly given by good parents are the consequences of kids actions. "Brush your teeth or you'll lose them and likely get ________deseise." Or the common teaching for kids to not talk to strangers and the dangers of being kidnapped. Hell is a frightening concept. But if it's real it's worth just as much a warning as staying away from strangers, or brushing your teeth. And there's where the issue falls. If it is real.

Honestly I would like to see more examples of brainwashing, because from what I can tell the accusations of indoctrination in religion have no difference to indoctrination in regular schools. It's just that instead of calling it indoctrination it's called education. Teaching kids things they probably don't want to know or see no point in studying. From math, history, geography, to the topics some parents have issues with like sex ed and teaching basically that it's ok to go out and have sex when their still young. (Just do it with protection and you've got the green light).

(Continued)
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Saturday, 15 December 2018 4:07:16 AM
(Continued)

However disagreeing with a topic taught in school doesn't equate to brainwashing, unless the term brainwashing itself holds no merit.

That is why I ask for examples of religious brainwashing. Because that's the repeated term that usually is placed in arguments without an active example to say "here it is, let's stand against it."

Think of it this way, if the argument of brainwashing is true and is a form of abuse, then by all means let's seek out the source and change it. But if it's not a real issue it just weakens the context it's placed in. Sex abuse and other abuses should by all right get their own focus to strengthen change in the place it occurred. Everything else in the list against religious schools (Hatred, brainwashing, judgement of others, discrimination), those don't amount to much and just weaken the arguments against religion as a whole. All a person has to say is that they weren't taught to hate or to discriminate even though they've been raised in a church or in a religious setting. It makes it sound like people are whining and looking for excuses to be against Christianity. Which when placed with a real concern like sex abuse, thestuff if the stuff that isn't justified just weakens the argument of real abuse because it's coming from someone looking for excuses to be against religion. Instead of someone who actually wants to stop a specific abuse that is occurring and has real stories to confirm it.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Saturday, 15 December 2018 4:10:44 AM
//It's just that instead of calling it indoctrination it's called education. Teaching kids things they probably don't want to know or see no point in studying. From math, history, geography//

Christ on a bike.... teaching people maths counts as indoctrination now? These Christians sure are a weird mob. Even the Westboro Baptists aren't kooky enough to print 'God Hates Maths Teachers' on their placards, but NNS isn't going to let that stop him from demonstrating just how kooky religious people can be.

Sorry, NNS, but teaching kids maths is not indoctrination. For it to be indoctrination you actually have to be teaching some sort of doctrine, not merely teaching a subject that the dim kids dislike because they find it difficult.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Saturday, 15 December 2018 8:59:49 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17