The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Religious schools and discrimination > Comments

Religious schools and discrimination : Comments

By Kuranda Seyit, published 23/10/2018

However, the call by Sheikh Taj Aldin Hilali, a Sydney based cleric, that independent Islamic schools should not allow homosexual teachers to work in their schools has opened up a can of worms.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
Foxy,

Ye, except for some of the company.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 29 October 2018 9:32:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is Mise,

That is a problem for some in any gathering - just as
it is on public discussion forums.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 29 October 2018 9:47:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Not_Now.Soon,

«Schools should teach so to prepare the students for the world.»

This is what secular (from the Latin ‘relating to an age or period’) schools are for. For a religious school which teaches the eternal, this would be a compromise and make it only second-best.

«That world includes the giant obstacle of sex and relationships in general.»

The best religious pupils would have nothing to do with it because they will follow the ideal of celibacy and monastic life.

«Hormones alone make the topic worth approaching so that kids can avoid terrible situtions. Or at least help reduce the risk if and when they do ignore their parents and teachers and have sex.»

A good religious school will keep them mentally and physically active, so their energy is directed and no time is left for nonsense. Children who do not listen to their teachers have no place in a good and serious religious school.

«Whether taught by parents or teachers sex is a topic worth talking about.»

It would only confuse dedicated and spiritual children. Once sexual thoughts come in, it is extremely difficult to get rid of them.

«I would like to be taught is the issue of being in a relationship trying to rescue or save the other person. That that is an unhealthy relationship and not something to build romance out of.»

Those who learn from a young age to have a close relationship with God, will not fall into such traps.

«if they date someone who says...»

Being celibate, they would never date anyone, nor even need to know what it means.

«how bad drugs make a situation, from health issues...»

Such good and well-educated children, including about healthy living, would not even come near coffee, so the issue of illicit drugs would never even occur to them.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 29 October 2018 5:39:09 PM
To Yuyutsu.

You and I disagree on the roles of schools. I would think a school can do both prepare a student for the world, and teach them spiritual lessons. Or if you want a more spiritual oriented school, (like going to Sunday school in church for kids) then perhaps having more then one school for students to attend. One for spiritual needs, and one for the everyday needs.

I don't see why the everyday needs should to be neglected though, even in a religous school. Reading, writing, and math should be a bare minimum for students to learn from one or both schools they attend. If they only attend one school, then they need at least that much in the lessons. Other topics to help prepare them for the world
I would highly reccomend, but if at the vert least they can read, write, and do basic math, they can find their own way in the world.

You're position on sex education sounds nieve and unrealistic in my opinion, but like I said. It sounds like we disagree on the roles and responsibilities of schools. (As well as disagree on spiritual matters).

From what you've described for how religous schools should be, is that what Hindu religous schools look like? A strict regiment to engage the students and those that don't listen to teachers are expelled? This sound like a monastery for children, instead of a just a religous school for children.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Tuesday, 30 October 2018 1:59:34 AM
Dear Not_Now.Soon,

Reading, Writing and Math are extremely important and nobody suggested that they be eliminated from the curriculum. In fact, the ancient Hindu schools taught 80 subjects: 14 techniques and 64 arts - http://shekharsk.wordpress.com/64-arts-14-techniques-of-ancient-india

Ancient Hindu schools used to be residential, of high quality and prepared their pupils for successful life in ancient India. I would be very privileged to be there.

This was good for those times, but the question is, should children be taught to live successfully in the corrupt modern society as it stands? should they learn to become cogs in its economic machinery, thus support it in perpetuity and the secular regimes that it serves?

I believe that there are places and times of which it is better to be ignorant!

Not necessarily illiterate, but perhaps study to read and write in a different language, preferably an ancient language, so that one can study scripture instead of being exposed to the garbage of contemporary society and yes, including its preoccupation with sex and pressure to "perform" and "prove oneself" in that area.

I was not fortunate in my early years to have a good school. I did attend an ordinary (though considered "prestigious") secular school and there I was exposed to all this toxic garbage, which I am still working my way out of.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 5 November 2018 11:52:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy