The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A nuclear waste jobs bonanza for regional South Australia? > Comments

A nuclear waste jobs bonanza for regional South Australia? : Comments

By Jim Green, published 27/9/2018

As with the job estimates, the estimated construction cost is wildly divergent when compared to overseas facilities.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All
Peter,

There's another diversion tactic which gets a lot of play these days: 'the Proof from the Future'. It involves truly-truly scary assertions about what might inevitably follow if something horrible happens like using Chernobyl-type technology (or doesn't happen, in the case of action against global warming).

Watching a bit of "The Orville" last night on SBS, I was struck (of course it's meant to be ironic, satirical, etc.) by how dated their technology was for the year 2456 - perhaps even by 2025. I'm a technological troglodyte, and getting further behind the play every year, but at least I'm aware of this whooshing sound as technology 'advances', in every field.

So the processing of nuclear waste holds no fears for me, nor the capture and return of CO2 to the world's plant life and oceans. I note that France and Finland don't seem to have trouble with their nuclear power generation. And given that a multitude of advances are constantly being made in that crucial area of technology, each decade should see safer and safer, and more productive, nuclear technology.

As an aside, concerning global warming, someone has probably calculated how much land across the northern hemisphere can be opened up to grain production, etc., for every degree rise in temperatures there. The southern hemisphere is mostly covered by water, but the northern hemisphere seems to be mainly land. Global warming may be far more beneficial in the north than the south. I wonder how global warming can be speeded up by a degree or two.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 2 October 2018 11:31:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy