The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Live exports > Comments

Live exports : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 18/9/2018

Our livestock export industry not only provides affordable protein to some of the world’s poorest people; it also provides Australians with 13,000 jobs.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
One assumes, just as meat can be cryovaced then irradiated to keep a fresh as the day it was slaughtered, for literal years.

Then so also all other forms of protein, grain fruit, nuts and vegetables etc.

Suitably ripened, on farm, avocados, could be halved de-seeded, then cryovaced and irradiated to give a similar (fresh picked) shelf life of years?

Eliminating the oxygen ends oxidisation. Destroying the bacteria without cooking or heat and you can keep your food products fresh for literal years. And with all the vitamins and minerals retained at optimum (fresh picked) levels.

What we need is the walk away safe MSR thorium technology that would produce medical-grade Xenon.

Which could after being cooled in a water bath and cleaned by passing it through activated carbon, be bladder stored until the irradiating chamber needed re-gassing.

Such a facility could also double as an emergency morgue in the event of a natural disaster.

After which the gas could be safely evacuated to the outside atmosphere, via a long pipeline and tall smokestack, with a diffuser attached to the top

Animal welfare also includes mitigating against droughts that invariably see starving animals needing to be killed for humane purposes when the farmer's finances have reached their reasonable limit.

As is the case when they in their turn need assistance just to put food on the table fuel in the family jalopy or pay their power bill. And that means affordable power and massive desal plants, outlined in, how and when, former contributions.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 18 September 2018 12:59:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I won't tell you How many animals I helped pull out of bogs or buried when dead. Or how many times I've watched a crop I've personly sown, grow and then fail to head due to lack of moisture or rain that just never came.

But, been there done that. And now just one of the morons digging deep to help where and as much as I can, if only for animal welfare reasons. And for that reason take extreme exception to Altraves moronic remarks concerning any other opinion, save his.

Sort of reminds one of shock jock Alan Jones, who kept on repeating his false accusations when he was ruled entirely out of order.

Our live animal trade is but a bare fraction of what it once was and all those northern cattle farmers/grazers, would do well to advocate the drought proofing of our land by whatever means possible, be it Northern dams or the desalination of, extremely good flow, salty aquifers?

Some of which, like several saltwater springs that used to flow into the Murray, were piped and diverted out to sea.

We've always had climate change and caused by the sun and the moon. The only connection with the lunar orb is those science and fact-free lunatic assumptions!?

That claim we can have record heatwaves and farm ruining drought during a solar waning period, the like of which, we here on planet earth, have been experiencing since the mid-seventies!

Even so, plenty we could do about it if we could just get the usual suspects, naysayers out of the way. Because they're not here to help!

Unless it's them or their equally crooked cronies? End of story. Talking of Alan Jones and his shut the gate policy?

Bet my bottom dollar those farmers who allowed drilling and CSG wells on their properties are the only ones still in the black and able to sit out this drought, even if it's another ten years.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 18 September 2018 2:00:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
come on ALTRAV don't you know we breed sheep in order for kids to have pets. Have you not heard Mary had a little lamb.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 18 September 2018 2:44:32 PM
Alan, WTF are you on about.
If you have experienced the hardships of farming you should know that all this anti livestock export is BS.
I am confused.
So, let me get this straight.
You would rather the equivalent of a ship load of sheep, and the farmers, die, because that's what's happening with this current drought, than export them and have a small percentage of them die.
Why aren't you backing the farmers here instead of the criminals who want to see farmers commit suicide and what, over some sheep?
Alan, if you are advocating the cessation of the live animal export industry, (sheep and cattle) you are a grave disappointment to your farming mates who are suffering and have suffered, because of the hardships of living off the land.
As if farmers/graziers don't have it hard enough, along you come with your band of small minded criminals and further encourage the demise of an already threatened industry and people.
Alan I never thought you would turn on your own.
I feel sad and sorry, and anger that people would put the interests of animals before that of humans.
Please tell me I read your post wrong and you do feel some empathy for the farmers.
Posted by ALTRAV, Tuesday, 18 September 2018 4:09:22 PM
Boy, have you got the wrong end of the stick Atrav! I was simply suggesting an idea made impossible by mindless government prohibition on truly affordable MSR thorium energy! Imagine if we had this energy as our servant?

Rapid rail could connect with submersible fast roll on roll of submersibles that could hold the entire train and given this was so?

Also, allow them to be transported wherever and whenever regardless of prevailing climatic conditions and far faster than anything we have now.

With the ship docked and the animals accepted as healthy specimens able to be unloaded as a complete train and once the sheep have decamped able to be reloaded and heading our way for the next cargo. After that and utilising capped salty aquifers, things like cash-cow, fish farms would be possible and fodder factories fed with their wastewater.

Then using that same desal water, things like taped irrigation becomes possible along with weed controlling moisture retaining biodegradable films. That would allow some cropping where now none are possible!

Yes, this would cost and where a proactive government could come to the party with grants/ interest-free loans!

This is my fourth post on his topic, so if you want to kick while I'm down, just go your hardest buddy!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 18 September 2018 6:21:28 PM
NO, NO, Alan now you've got ME wrong.
I understood from your post that you were bagging ME for something.
I did not quite get what you were saying but all I saw was; 'And for that reason take extreme exception to Altraves moronic remarks concerning any other opinions, save his.'
I'm not very quick on the uptake so I assumed that what you were saying, by using the words 'altrave' and 'moronic' in the same sentence, that it can't be good, so I thought I had upset you when all along I am, and if memory serves, have always been, on your side.
I have applauded your take on thorium and your other suggestions, with interest.
My background is Industrial and Automotive Design/Engineering, so you see whenever I see or read something positive and worthwhile I applaud it and it's author.
Instead of the garbage that keeps pushing against any new ideas, for selfish reasons, such as the govt.
I appologise unreservedly for any distress I may have caused.
My angst is at these people who would rather see farmers die or suffer, on the reports and assumptions of vested interest groups, trying to kill off another industry that will see thousands of people suffer.
I will not appologise for prioritising humans over animals.
If you feel that way, and I can't imagine you do, I suggest we leave it at this and we move on.
If not I am relieved.
Posted by ALTRAV, Tuesday, 18 September 2018 7:38:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy