The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The green elephant in the Snowy Mountains > Comments

The green elephant in the Snowy Mountains : Comments

By Viv Forbes, published 11/9/2018

To call it 'hydro-electric' is a fraud – it will not store one extra litre of water and will be a net consumer of electric power. It is a giant electric storage battery to be recharged using grid power.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Al.

I prefer a chip heater, tank water, and candle light. At least while housing remains unaffordable, and power companies become the new masters of the poor, (with the total assistance of the uncaring political classes)!
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 11 September 2018 10:28:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Diver Dan,

We use solar for water heating with a backup from the boiler (wood fired) that I use to run my workshop (mechanically) and also to charge the battery bank and to generate 240V power (for power tools mainly).
The windmill pumps water to a 2.000 gallon tank that is above house level, thus supplying domestic water at pressure.

The power lines are only a mile or so away but the cost of connecting is prohibitive and the benefits negligible.

I made the solar water heater about thirty years ago, using corrugated copper sheets and lots of solder!!
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 12 September 2018 5:11:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy