The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Marriage, divorce and the Bible > Comments

Marriage, divorce and the Bible : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 10/8/2018

I can remember, in my first Parish, standing before the congregation as a divorced man having married a divorced woman to preach.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All
Matthew 10:37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Nobody can break up families like Jesus.
Posted by david f, Tuesday, 14 August 2018 12:26:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

Dear Is Mise,

You wrote :

« The usual quote is "Whom God has joined together, let no man put asunder"

I see this as meaning, let no outsider break a marriage union, and that continuing it or busting up is the concern of the two most involved; with society having an input on the welfare of those concerned, especially children »

That’s one way of looking at it, Is Mise. I tend to feel that “man”, in this sentence, means “mankind”, the married couple, themselves, being included in the injunction. In other words, nobody is to “put asunder whom God has joined together” – not even themselves.

Here are a few other interpretations :

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Mark-10-9/

Might I add that I, personally, see nothing wrong with divorce, provided it is carried out in a civil, courteous and responsible manner. I consider that marriage is a voluntary contract, a personal engagement, which each of the contracting parties is free to cancel at any time.

To be perfectly clear, my position on this is not dictated by any religious belief or affiliation of any sort whatsoever. It is my own, personal opinion.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Tuesday, 14 August 2018 12:48:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

The horrendous paedophile scandal in the US, following the release of the Grand Jury report in Pennsylvania, highlights Peter’s statement that “part of … the decline of the Church is because of the disastrous association of Christianity with morality”.

It is reported that hundreds of Roman Catholic priests molested more than 1,000 children — and possibly many more — since the 1940s, and senior church officials, including the archbishop of Washington, D.C., systematically covered up the abuse.

The “real number” of abused children might be in the thousands since some secret church records were lost, and victims were afraid to come forward.

Attorney General Josh Shapiro said at a news conference in Harrisburg that the investigation confirmed a “systematic cover-up by senior church officials in Pennsylvania and at the Vatican”.

The release of the grand jury’s report comes at a time of renewed scrutiny and fresh scandal at the highest levels of the U.S. Catholic Church. Pope Francis stripped 88-year-old Cardinal Theodore McCarrick of his title and ordered him to a lifetime of prayer and penance amid allegations that McCarrick had for years sexually abused boys and had sexual misconduct with adult seminarians.

Revelations of Church-related paedophilia continue around the world and seem to be never-ending. They touch all denominations, but the Catholic Church is by far the worst offender – on a world-wide scale – to such an extent that its endemic nature is evident.

The Catholic Church is morally bankrupt as an institution.

Pope Francis is now left with just two options : either he puts a stop to it or he admits his inability to do so and resigns :

« And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves » — Matthew 21:12–13

As Jesus clearly demonstrated: there is no other honourable alternative.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Thursday, 16 August 2018 11:17:28 PM
Just goes to shew what can happen when an institution is infiltrated by homosexuals.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 16 August 2018 11:50:52 PM

Dear Is Mise,

You wrote :

« Just goes to shew what can happen when an institution is infiltrated by homosexuals »

I don’t think homosexuals “infiltrate” the Catholic institution, Is Mise. It’s part of the normal selection process for candidates. Only those who accept to take the vows of celibacy are accepted into the priesthood.

That’s not a problem for homosexuals, bisexuals, or transsexuals. They might even consider it an attractive feature of the job, with the aditional advantage of being a safe haven for predators such as themselves (Matthew 19:14).

It’s more of a problem for heterosexuals – probably dissuasive for most. As for the others, who, despite the difficulty, accept the challenge and resolve to renounce their natural instincts, unfortunately, many later succumb to temptation and fail miserably. In their desperation, some have no alternative but to commit bisexual or homosexual acts, depending on the circumstances, in order to satisfy their natural sexual urges.

The final result is that there is a maggot in the apple and the apple is rotten to the core.

How does a maggot get inside an apple? Scientists have discovered that it does not burrow in from the outside. The maggot comes from the inside. But, how does it get there? Simple. An insect lays an egg in the apple blossom. Sometime later, the maggot hatches in the heart of the apple, and thrives in its habitat before finally easing its way out.

That’s the story of the Catholic Church, Is Mise. Sad isn't it ?

Mind you, there are maggots in all the other Christian denominations as well, but not as many as in the Catholic Church.

This could be due to the multiple advantages of predators operating from a Church - any Church - as previously indicated. Parents candidly entrust their children to the clergy and the Churches of all the denominations, without exception, protect their clergy form the law.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Saturday, 18 August 2018 12:37:59 AM
Banjo,

Maggots there are a plenty but that doesn't affect the core of Catholicism.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 19 August 2018 12:00:47 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All