The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The non-university and the manager > Comments

The non-university and the manager : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 10/8/2018

We have been seeing over the last few decades the birth of the non-university, an institution hollowed out of its seminal functions: teaching and scholarship.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Apart from a few key professions such as medicine, science and engineering, there is no need for most people to attend university. Courses like journalism, nursing and social work, teaching etc. can be, and once were, taught at cheaper institutions. Most graduates who get into debt with the silly Mickey Mouse degrees are waiting on tables - if they are lucky.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 10 August 2018 10:06:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Universities are founded on ancient highly ethical tradition and institutions. And at times given far too much social status for simply being places that teach you how to learn and apply mature critical thinking? Hopefully, occasionally?

And populated all too often by toffee-nosed snobs, who think themselves VIP's and take on airs and graces belonging to ancient "nobility"?

And even dare one suggest sell their academic souls for the modern equivalent of forty pieces of silver.

And where the real problem is rather than fly by night, commercial operations that allegedly impart specialized knowledge specific to this or that industry or occupation?

Given the rapidly changing nature of work, with some occupations disappearing down the maw of automation?

I believe we have to have or make room for both, in the pursuit or acquisition of knowledge.

Always providing it eliminates cramming just to pass this or that exam and win an essentially empty degree, that then enables this or that individual to hold down a well-rewarded position or occupation as they learn their craft, like any apprentice/intern, on the job!?

Sorry if that summation doesn't float your boat Binroy.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 10 August 2018 12:04:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Universities were once where a few actually indulged in scholarship, but most were where the very wealthy sent their offspring to sow their wild oats, a long way from home. A place where the aristocracy kids could do some growing up without causing the family too much embarrassment around home.

Today they are mostly a place where many spend a few of years in sexual adventures before being given the bit of paper which will guarantee then an overpaid clerical job in the bureaucracy.

At least some staff are exercising some grey matter, thinking up even more ridiculous courses that will bring in a few more student dollars. Of course usefulness has no bearing on what universities spend most of their time doing.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 10 August 2018 1:13:10 PM
I worked alongside many Uni educated people & my main task was to make the things they designed work because they didn't know how to.
Others made my work misery by constant changes to policy & interference via nepotism.
The really smart ones actually are pulling their weight albeit for way more money than they're worth.
Anything to do with University these days involves either corruption or incompetence. There are very few educated people in the work force who are not corrupt. Extreme selfishness seems to be the Trademark of Degree holders.
Posted by individual, Friday, 10 August 2018 2:20:52 PM
Binoy,
I have tried to work out what you mean by " a true academic underclass seduced by the elusion of patronage."

If elusion is a noun relating to "elude" it means "avoidance by artifice" but it is not in my dictionary.

I suppose you meant "illusion".

Sometimes one can be too clever.

Still you have established the truth of the old saying "If you cannot do it, teach it.".
Posted by Old Man, Friday, 10 August 2018 3:59:47 PM
Hey old man you missed the last bit of that old saying.

At least in motor racing it went, "If you cannot do it, teach it.".to which we added, if you can't teach it, write about it.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 10 August 2018 7:01:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy