The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Renewables statistics realities > Comments

Renewables statistics realities : Comments

By Geoff Carmody, published 11/7/2018

These average capacity multipliers will also multiply total costs of ensuring reliable power even as $/MWh renewables generation costs fall.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
I've learned something, thanks, Philip S. BTW, your critique of my earlier post missed the sarcasm. 100% renewables is a fantasy, of course, but nothing is too fantastic for some to believe.
Posted by Luciferase, Saturday, 14 July 2018 8:23:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Luciferase - There is an article about the Jindabyne water storage for Canberra being very low because they used lots of water to generate electricity even though it was during a long period without rain to replenish it.

With that in mind the whole hydro electricity generation could be in trouble in the event of a prolonged drought.
Posted by Philip S, Saturday, 14 July 2018 9:35:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A few home truths.
Renewables will not replace fossil or hydro or nuclear, any time soon.
Rooftop solar panels are saving on 'consumption' cost.
But we have yet to see the total cost when we add the cost of initial installation and then the cost of servicing/repairing or replacing the panels.
I believe it will still be less than what is being payed by non solar panel households.
Even if by not much less, when the final analysis is done.
As for the non solar paying for the solar households, I believe it completely.
You must bear in mind that since the scumbags in Canberra sold off all the public utilities, (for no good reason) so they and their mates could fleece money from the public with impunity, they have been slowly and steadily losing profits, not money, profits.
So to keep up their forecast return on investment profits they have been steadily increasing our power bills to keep their bottom line healthy and them looking good.
What I don't get is that when the subsidies end the consumers with solar panels are going to be supplying free power to their providers and still paying for electricity, I expect slightly less than everyone else.
The part that infuriates me and exposes the thieving scumbags for what they are, is that they will be making money for no outlay, because the consumer is going to service/repair/replace the solar panels so as the power supplier gets it for free and on sells it back to the same people who provided it in the first place.
What a con.
I would like to see some karma, in that everyone with solar pulls their fuses and with the installation of batteries, can stick it up the energy providers arse.
I think that would be great.
We still get power, solar and storage, and they would get stuffed.
I would enjoy watching these vermin shrivel and die for a change instead of it being us all the time.
Posted by ALTRAV, Saturday, 14 July 2018 11:43:04 PM
The word "storage" appears 9 times in the following article re AEMO's latest prognostications:
https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2018/07/aemo-confirms-end-coal/

When will someone of note have the coconuts to stand up and say grid-scale storage is just a figment of the imagination?! To completely restructure the grid to suit renewables with storage when it feasibility and viability is only a twinkle in the eye of green fantasists is a road to nowhere that will hit Australia very, very hard.

I have zero faith in an organization that must be so infiltrated with green ideology that it can make such senseless pronouncements, so blithe of reality. It is aided and abetted by our pied-piper Chief-Scientist, who has failed us utterly miserably.

When will the Coalition get a grip and join with Mark Barilaro in promoting the only real proven solution there is.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-19/nuclear-power-nsw-nationals-leader-wants-to-open-debate/8540274
Posted by Luciferase, Tuesday, 17 July 2018 11:05:59 AM
For as long as the greens and friends, who are devoid of reality, have been pushing this renewables fallacy, I have been vocal against it.
Not because I don't like the idea of renewable, free energy, but the idea that it is possible is the reason for it's failure, and I can see it.
Let those who know nothing carry on as if they do.
I will back reality every time.
I am not disputing that you cannot get power from wind or the sun or even waves or tidal and God knows what other ideas have been pushed by these 'children'.
What is obvious to intelligent and thinking people, like myself, is the word, 'relativity'.
Where-as it is obvious to my side of the debate that there are too many factors and nature working against these concepts.
The biggest one is visual pollution. Both solar and wind require land the size of the very state they want to power, to get any real supply.
As I have an engineering background, I can say without question, reliability and maintenance are also lose-lose factors, making them absolutely non starters.
Being a technical and pragmatic person, I would no sooner listen to or take technical advise from a greeny than from a family pet.
I am angered that ANYONE is even recognising that they (the greens) exist let alone vote for them and think for one second they know absolutely anything about the causes they promote.
The public have to admit and come to terms with such things as they know nothing about everything and that the govt is not there to do our bidding.
Once you, the public, come to terms with these two MAIN factors, we can move on with the advise of those without vested interests have to offer.
And that definitely does not mean the govt either.
Posted by ALTRAV, Tuesday, 17 July 2018 2:46:13 PM
Aiden, if you read the article you will see that they are referring
to the UK for January 2016. The data was available and there was a
period of low wind in the middle of the month for a few sequential days.
The purpose was to keep the lights on.

In regard to the other article they were referring to Europe.
Yes it does depend on the size of the country and is inversely
proportionally to the size of the country.
However without actually knowing I suspect it might be exponentially
proportional. In Europe they are talking of having solar and wind
stations in Nth Africa connected with HV DC grid to Europe.
Presumably they hope to improve the winter performance.
Looks to me like the cost might make the price of electricity
a cause for burning car demonstrations in Paris !
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 17 July 2018 3:55:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy