The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Soft Brexits and hard realities: the Tory revolt > Comments

Soft Brexits and hard realities: the Tory revolt : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 11/7/2018

Free movement, a central EU principle, would end, but the UK would seek a principle of ensuring that UK and EU citizens would still be permitted to visit, work and live in respective jurisdictions with ease.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
I have always had a soft spot for the UK, and I was very pleased when the sensible Poms voted to leave that awful, totalitarian EU. But, PM May has proven to be the silliest of silly women, whose only contribution to politics has been to prove how unsuited women are for the job. Add the fact that she is a 'remainer' herself, and the dog's breakfast she has made of Brexit is no surprise.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 11 July 2018 10:14:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Ttbn,

I don't know so much, maybe the imminent election in the UK will evolve quickly into a new, de facto, referendum on Brexit and come down to three choices:

* Theresa May and abandoning Brexit if she gets an improved vote;

* Boris Johnson as Prime Minister and a stronger push for Brexit, if she doesn't;

* Corbyn.

With the Manchurian Candidate doing his best to destroy the EU and the Western Alliance on behalf of his bum-buddy Putin (God knows why, Russian resources maybe ?), I hope that European unity can be strengthened, and that the world as a whole learns to go around Trump, as one would a dog-turd on a footpath.

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 11 July 2018 12:12:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The UK's a write-off.
If the Tommy Robinson story hasn't spelt that loud and clear then nothing will.
http://youtu.be/ao2VlpxGFe4

"The EU apparatchiks still wish to make an example of Britain, a form of deterrence against others who wish to take the exiting step in the name of reclaiming sovereignty."

If you know this Binoy, then it should be obvious that the real story once again is the one you didn't write.

- Why is Australia talking about becoming a member of the EU? -

The EU's open border policies have destroyed every nation involved, for no other reason except to centralise power and control. These nations have no control over their own laws, have their laws decided by unelected beuracrats in Brussels and they cannot leave.

I don't want open borders or free movement of people on this continent.
I don't want any agreements or treaties or anything from them.

I don't want my country turning into England, France or Germany.

The problem is the people in the financial districts and the high end of town making these agreements don't give a crap about what happens in the suburbs, because they don't live there.

Write me a real story Binoy, if the EU is going to ruin this country like so many others then you should be writing a better article than this one.

http://smh.com.au/opinion/australia-has-a-strong-case-for-joining-the-eu-20160627-gpsl0t.html

http://www.afr.com/opinion/columnists/the-eu-is-the-last-piece-in-australias-trade-deal-jigsaw-20180710-h12h1u
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 11 July 2018 1:15:59 PM
Joe,

The UK has elections every 5yrs, not 3yrs, and so the next election is most probably 3yrs away. So Corbyn is not even an option for a long time.

Secondly, May's version of Brexit is pretty much the outer limits of what the EU will accept with free trade. Notably, it does not allow for unfettered immigration and allows trade agreements with other countries. While it does give the EU courts some jurisdiction over trade, it does not give them control over the rest of UK law, which is not unexpected for a free flow of goods into the EU.

Boris might not be happy with all of this, but the only option is a hard Brexit as the EU is unlikely to accept his version and it is too late to reverse Brexit.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 11 July 2018 1:36:22 PM
Hi SM,

Good point, but according to Wikipedia, " .... the [Fixed-Term Parliament] Act .... contains provisions for Parliament to be dissolved and an early election held if no government can be formed within 14 days after a vote of no confidence in the government. Similarly, the Act allows for an election to be triggered by a vote of two-thirds of MPs in the House of Commons calling for one."

So if PM May can engineer a vote of no-confidence in her own government, and if by chance the Brexit Tories and Corbyn's rabble can't form a government, she may be able to able to go into an election as a Remainer, putting Boris and Corbyn on different sides of the same bed, so to speak, as different sorts of Brexiteers. I wonder what her chances might be ?

And what impact might tweets from the Turd have on a British election or on the 52 % preference for a Brexit ?

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 11 July 2018 1:59:08 PM
Joe,

It is theoretically possible but wildly improbable. If TM did engineer a no-confidence vote against her party, the chances of her leading the conservatives to a new election would be zero.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 11 July 2018 3:57:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy