The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Breaking the seal of the confessional > Comments

Breaking the seal of the confessional : Comments

By Peter Bowden, published 26/6/2018

The concept is similar to the duty of confidentiality which obliges legal advisors to respect their clients' affairs.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. All
Toni,

The Archbishop intends to appeal, so nothing can be done until that is heard.
Personally, I think that the death penalty should apply to serial paedophiles.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 5 July 2018 10:16:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//The Archbishop intends to appeal//

Sentence or conviction?

//Personally, I think that the death penalty should apply to serial paedophiles.//

I am fundamentally opposed to the death penalty.

But I am not opposed to appropriate corporal punishment. Castrate the bastards.

However, this is getting away from the main point. Nobody is any dispute that people who rape children should be punished harshly... but what about people who knowingly and willingly protect people who rape children? I still think Tim Minchin says it best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkOHDoEkPW0
Posted by Toni Lavis, Thursday, 5 July 2018 11:10:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Toni,

«But I am not opposed to appropriate corporal punishment. Castrate the bastards.»

If only the church was allowed to do so, but it isn't, their hands are tied. If they tried, then clergy would be paraded before secular courts on charges of "causing grievous bodily harm", that being the case even when paedophiles willingly accepted their treatment.

In fact, let alone castration, churches cannot currently even name-and-shame paedophiles in order to warn the community, this being the simplest and most effective method of prevention - lest the information gets to the secular regime who would parade church-people before their secular courts and throw them in their secular prisons.

Have true separation of state and church, then you will see how the church itself can clean its stables!

On a second thought, this may be happening already, but as matters are being closed quietly within the confines of the church, you and I would never know about it (if discovered, castrated paedophiles could claim that it was a skiing accident).

The biggest bastards in town are those who try to force religious people to forsake God and submit to the secular regime. They will never succeed, there will be many martyrs.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 5 July 2018 11:57:29 PM

It seems that Adelaide’s Archbishop Wilson has decided to play poker with the judges of the District Court of New South Wales.

The stakes are high. He’s going for double or nothing : either two years imprisonment or he walks free. He’s sitting on a hand of twelve months prison with six month non-parole but with the right to continue on bail while being assessed for home detention. He’s called for another card.

Some say he’s trying to protect the Church, but that seems unlikely. Prolonging the affair in the courts and the media can hardly do the Church much good.

The immobility of the Vatican is in full swing. The silence of Pope Francis gets louder and louder with every day that passes. Like his predecessors, he knows that in crises such as this, silence is golden : do no evil, see no evil, hear no evil.

Archbishop Wilson is the most senior Catholic official in the world to be charged with the offence of covering up historical child sexual abuse in the Church. Because of this, the matter is so important the decision has to be taken at the highest level. It’s actually out of Pope Francis’ hands. He’s busy seeking guidance from above.

The lawyers are working day and night. They leave no stone unturned. It’s the Battle of the Titans, the power struggle of the gods and the secularists, of divine justice against human justice. It is fearmongering at its finest. The tension is palpable, due to the sheer magnitude of the stakes.

But, whoever comes out on top in the end, as the poet so wisely observed in relation to another, less important matter of a similar nature ... Oh so long ago ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lin-a2lTelg

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Friday, 6 July 2018 9:34:26 AM
Well, I'm not opposed to the death penalty, the money spent on convicted serial killers, rapists, serial paedophiles etc., could be far better spent on society in general.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 6 July 2018 4:17:25 PM
Dear Is Mise,

It would not be right to kill people against their will, but why not ask them?

As far as I am concerned, jail is much worse than death, so I would choose the latter.

Better still, if I were a paedophile then I would castrate myself then get on with my life.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 6 July 2018 5:22:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. All