The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Banning plastic straws and other acts of environmental suicide > Comments

Banning plastic straws and other acts of environmental suicide : Comments

By Eric Claus, published 20/6/2018

Woolworths doesn't feel the need to answer the question

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Steel redux…

I don't care if I appear right or wrong. I know what I think, and I know what I know from observation over a long period of time.

I have dived exclusively the east coast of Australia over its vast length, and some of that time in NZ. never have I seen a plastic shopping bag in the ocean. That's a fact.

As this author points out, why does THIS idiot country called Australia, turn itself into a monty python skit, over situations it is unaffected by…continuously.
And another observation while I'm on a roll, every one of these “stupids”, impacts the greatest, on the poor and less well off. FM I'm over it! If I see another homosexual waving a rainbow flag, I'll bash the bastard!
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 21 June 2018 8:33:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So once again (rich) Greens have effectively created a $100 a year tax on the poor (who are already getting their power cut off). Woolies is not going to provide super cheap Home brand garbage bags and as usual only stock expensive Name brands; a staff member made a joke about you will have to buy them now.
Posted by McCackie, Thursday, 21 June 2018 10:03:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear diver dan,

How on earth do we go from plastic shopping bags to bashing gays? Quite a leap even for someone like you.

However it really tells us the source of your blindness is your ideology. Enough said.

Now mate if you want to come down here and start thumping people just because they are waving a flag then I promise you you will get a swift boot up your backside for your troubles and rightly so. Why is it that those who promote violence against gays are so often closeted themselves? If you have that itch mate go get it scratched rather than threatening to clobber someone.

Or you could just grow up.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 21 June 2018 10:20:05 AM
So here we have Steely using the lie, "it's well known effect on wildlife". As usual, the useful idiot refuge of those who have absolutely no idea. If he had any idea of it's very minor effect on wildlife, he'd be damn sure to keep it hidden, so as not to spoil the bulldust green narrative.

Perhaps someone would like to advise just what improvement in Asian waters a ban on plastic bags in Oz is likely to achieve.

Like you Diver, I have spent quite a bit of time out the reef, often with a dozen or more on reef charters. I have gutted, filleted & skinned thousands of fish. Nothing like the commercial fisherman, but still thousands.

I have never seen a plastic bag out there or in the gut of any marine creature. If any are getting into the ocean, they damn soon disappeared. I never ever saw a bag on any of the isolated windward beaches on the hundreds of islands I have visited. Lots of flotsam of course, most of it natural, but some man mad junk.

The most common man made rubbish on those beaches was shoes & particularly thongs. Never a pair of course, so not much use to the poor beachcomber, but lots of them. I wonder when the green ratbags will start a narrative on banning them?

Bags disappear very quickly on land too. I used to buy calcium & phosphorous powder to use in my foals feed to promote bone growth. I would get a couple of kilo of each, in plastic shopping bags from the produce store. In my feed shed, with the only sunlight coming through the open roller door, those bags would degrade & start to crack up in a month. After another month in the milk crate I used as an inside bin they would be crumbling into very small pieces, ready to join the sand & rocks in the soil, contributing perhaps to the aeration, but doing nothing harmful there.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 21 June 2018 11:56:21 AM
As the article notes, over 95% of all plastics in the seas comes from countries that aren't the west. Yet its the west that frets and tries to 'do sumfing' to fix it.

Since the only way to fix it is to get the 'others' to 'do sumfing' the problem won't be fixed - assuming it is a problem.

So why do it:

1. Warm inner glow of saving the environment.
2. For Woolies et al its a win win. Make money while appearing to be a good corporate citizen. They think they can buy off the greenies. They can't. The greenies are never satisfied.
3. Getting people to participate in these things creates a bias in their future actions. If people are induced to do something of little actual benefit they are much less likely to believe those who oppose the action or the next action because to do so would be to admit that they were easily duped. Induce someone to donate to some guy wearing a koala suit and they're unlikely to believe research showing the koala's aren't endangered because it would prove they were duped. It why the fact that recycling is useless isn't generally accepted. So many people bought into it that they can't admit they were misled.

The more things change....
Posted by mhaze, Thursday, 21 June 2018 1:12:50 PM
mhaze there are lots of good recycling businesses. Steel, aluminium, other metals, plastic, paper, cardboard, pallets. Not at all useless. Very good business.
Posted by ericc, Thursday, 21 June 2018 3:13:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy