The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Western Civilization, the media, and political irresponsibility > Comments

Western Civilization, the media, and political irresponsibility : Comments

By Dirk Moses, published 18/6/2018

For the first time that I can remember, though, we are on the cusp of a sustained national conversation about the place of the humanities in higher education and in Australian culture.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
There was a little dissent from what passes for conservative media. Most of the media is as extreme Left as the ANU and all Australian universities, intent on suppressing Western civilisation at every opportunity. The public is not as “perplexed” as this character would like us to be. We know what he and his sort are up to, so obvious have they made the intentions. And they can be obvious, thanks to our gutless political class. Chris Kenny’s “rescue” is needed, and it will not come in the form of a promised chat Turnbull might have with Herr Schmidt. Turnbull will roll over as he always does.

“Kenny's columns …. articulate a consistent and cumulative message that our universities are corrupting the youth of Australia by traducing Western civilization …..” because that is exactly what is happening. If Moses can't see that, he is part of the white-anting of Western Civilisation.

Five pages of Left wing bumf from an academic is not going to hide the rotten state of universities and their staff.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 18 June 2018 10:36:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A well thought through, educated erudite essay. And, why not indeed?

Nowhere in the view of the (always right) extreme right, with its intellectual arrogance and born to rule pernicious personalities, are they ever able to view their worldview through the eyes of those they would rule!

And the principle reason why we a former British penal colony, stand-alone among comparative "democracies" (de-mock -crass-see) without a bill of irrevocable human rights.

Yet would portray themselves as cultural warriors defending those rights from all comers, while simultaneously removing or reducing those we are led to believe, we can trust them to protect? While ever it remains politically expedient!?

But as always, are the warriors who gird their loins against justifiable criticism and blame all their shortcomings on any convenient scapegoat! [Jews, Muslims, Arabs, Albanians, Kurds, Gipsies, Commies under the bed, homosexuals and have I forgotten anyone?

Or an entirely fair-minded and impartial ABC!

Which like every other worthwhile public amenity they touch or are given tempory management of. Would privatize.

Is there any previous government core responsibility they would protect or reserve for, we Australians. Or are we to slavishly follow the highly flawed, extreme capitalist model of the U.S.Of A.

Where social service is seen by them as akin to begging and their public health model is the most expensive, most profitable in the world; and where R+D or genuine competition in the energy market from concepts like MSR thorium is verboten! Jawhol?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 18 June 2018 11:11:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well Alan has finally nailed his radical ratbag lefty colours to the mast.

With a statement like, "Or an entirely fair-minded and impartial ABC", which could only come from one far left of reason, it now makes his previous waffling between far left & middle of the road clearly an attempt to hide his real feelings.

Hope it feels good to have come out of the closet Alan.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 18 June 2018 11:31:20 AM
Alan,

Born to rule? That might be an aspiration for some but, for a good while it is the Left that has been ruling - that's why the West is in the mess it is. And that Left is not “pretending to be cultural warriors” defending anything; they are selling us out to barbarians.

“Justifiable criticism”. Care to name some sustainable criticism of the West? Compared to other cultures of course.

Why don't you trade your mobility in scooter in on a camel and enjoy life in one over those wonderful Islamic countries. Or, just move to western Sydney. You would still have to learn Arabic of course. Perhaps they could teach you at ANU, where they gladly accept Saudi money for Islamic studies. It's only that filthy white man stuff they won't touch.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 18 June 2018 11:54:26 AM
A bit off topic but still about the biggest threat to Western civilisation, the Black Hand cult of the Liberal Party, who have sent out an invitation to a nosh up in a Chinese eatery. The invitation came from Bruce Baird, President of the NSW 'LIBRAL’ Forum.

They can't even spell their own name!
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 18 June 2018 12:12:48 PM
I like article, but not because I agree with all of it.
I like it because it raises relevant issues and makes some good points which deserve a response or debate from those he is attacking.

not much for the importance of theory or even past books, but I am going to provide my own lay person response to article with my own take about western civilisation in terms of what it means to me given my own unique life and academic experience.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Monday, 18 June 2018 1:21:09 PM
"The public is not as “perplexed” as this character would like us to be. We know what he and his sort are up to............"

Nothing more galling than people presuming that they know or speak for me.

I don't care where they sit on the political spectrum, be they pompous little proletarians or wannabee jackboots or somewhere in between. I am a member of the public. I speak for me. I think for me.

I find nothing perplexing about right-wing demagogues. I find them to be nothing more than bone idle parasites sucking the human out of humanity. These intellectual idlers lack the ticker to engage their brains to consider the evolution of humanity. Their latest “war on”, that is their war on culture, has them yet again flaunting their ignorance as a badge of honour. They have been around forever, Inquisitors, Puritans, McCarthyites, nothing more than parasites in need of bogeymen. Parasites that feed off the rest of us because they are too bone idle to productively engage their brains.
Posted by unravel, Monday, 18 June 2018 4:21:16 PM
The loss by Hilary shows how deranged haters have become as demonstrated by unravel.
Posted by runner, Monday, 18 June 2018 4:32:36 PM
What a load of twaddle ttbn and citing Chris Kenny from the Murdoch stable of yes boss, whatever you say boss, you Right Wing nutters cant stop yourselves
Given Murdoch's history of interference in other country's internal affairs ie Elections he should have been jailed in the UK for that mess he created
Posted by John Ryan, Monday, 18 June 2018 4:35:49 PM
Seems to be a well reasoned assessment of the irrational hysterical storm-in-a-teacup drama being promoted by the Australian "news"-paper.
A drama which is full of sound and fury signifying nothing but a lot of hot-air histrionics on the part of the principal dramatis personae. Even more ironic when some/most of the people who scribble for the Australia quite often prattle on about "enlightenment reason".

Even the use of the word DISTAIN in the title of the well written essay by John Carroll is an exercise in hype. So too with the word DENIAL on his website posting of the same essay. John is one of sanest writers in the Australian/Quadrant/IPA nexus.

Meanwhile these essays describe and summarize the situation of the perennial cultural and "religious" psychosis now being dramatized all over the planet. Summed up with these words:

"Humankind is now dwelling entirely in an independent, separative, and self-destructing mode. That is why human life on Earth suffers its present dark complexion"

http://www.priorunity.org/excerpt-separateness-egoless-culture

http://fearnomore.vision/world/integrity-of-the-whole

http://www.beezone.com/da_publications/spacetim.html

Tragically ALL of the "great" Western books and texts, both ancient and modern, communicate and reinforce the principle of separateness.
Posted by Daffy Duck, Monday, 18 June 2018 6:20:17 PM
The culture wars....yawn...
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 18 June 2018 10:05:08 PM
"The loss by Hilary shows how deranged haters have become as demonstrated by unravel."

I don't think I can endorse that comment runner. Whilst it's true that the victory by Trump may have emboldened the parasitic Right, I have not demonstrated that they are deranged. I can understand you feeling that they are insane, as they add academics and universities to the exceedingly long list of things that they already hate. However being deranged implies insanity and insanity could be a defence for impaired mental capacity. There is a big difference between the mentally impaired and intellectual bludgers. You can use the defence of diminished responsibility for the mentally impaired. Whereas I believe these Right-wing parasites are wholly responsible for their self-inflicted ignorance. So as much as I can sympathise with your belief that these parasitic Right-wing haters are deranged, I regret to say I cannot endorse it.
Posted by unravel, Tuesday, 19 June 2018 6:00:05 AM
The only silver lining here is that the author's going to be in for a rude awakening if his own side wins out.

Does he actually believe that they will accommodate effiminate men who produce nothing and whinge about everything?

People like him will be the first to go.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 19 June 2018 9:48:22 AM
You are right again Armchair. The emasculated 'guests' the abc have on are often haters of the worst kind. I can understand Hilary and others taken up the leftist dogmas as her biggest men supporters seemed to be Bill and Harvey. Probably explains a few things.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 19 June 2018 9:54:44 AM
Moses is being dishonest. The obvious reason why he decided to include the Norwegian mass-murderer in his piece was to persuade with a dark image. The reason was deliberate. There are countless names of people he could have chosen but he ignored those and went for the least empathetic. A morally weak and stupid person.
Posted by jc2, Monday, 25 June 2018 6:51:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy