The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Senate crossbench > Comments

Senate crossbench : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 11/6/2018

Each of the senators who changed seats left a party that was not grounded in clearly defined principles.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Who changed David?

The swinging Senators or the leader who believed his power to decide policy was a divine right and carved in stone?
Or that the party members were just highly paid rubber stamps brought along to do his/her bidding?

As a liberal and a libertarian, I believe not only in the right to cross the floor on any issue but leave the party if my first and only loyalty to the electors was about to be compromised.
Or if the moral compass that's guided me most of my adult life is somehow placed in jeopardy?

I also retain the right to change my mind on any issue, if persuaded by rational reasoned logic! You?

As a final observation, only the Nazi or communist parties expected, nay demanded the fixed position loyalty you seem to want?
And perhaps tells us more about the real you than you care to reveal?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 11 June 2018 10:58:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have found that the ones the abc are backing are generously the most dangerous Senators. They use them as 'useful idiots' like they did with Clive in order to spew hatred on Abbott. They also used Lambie when it suited them.
Posted by runner, Monday, 11 June 2018 2:20:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The article provides a good argument why electing citizens at random is a better system than democracy.

But there is one drawback: this would favour people with fewer personal obligations who are thus more easily able to fly to Canberra and fulfil their parliamentary duties, creating a bias in favour of people with much time on their hands.

A good related biblical reading can be found in Judges 9:8-15.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 11 June 2018 5:13:20 PM
Yuyutsu

You should elaborate on that.

Try this:

We actually need less characters like this author. Corporate puppet, voted in to parliament by a default mechanism, under a foreign party flag. In other words, duped the electorate.
Neoliberal Libertarian doing due dilligance to corporate executatives (Joyce eg), proposing SSM private members bill. Gun toting hillbilly, opposing Howards gun control and public safety intentions. Non-intellect.

What else can I say?
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 11 June 2018 8:16:29 PM
Dear Dan,

Are you sure that your last post was intended for me?

If so, then it is you who needs to elaborate because I don't understand half of it, nor have any idea how it even remotely relates to my previous post.

Thank you.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 11 June 2018 10:53:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy