The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Which politician do we want to lead the country? > Comments

Which politician do we want to lead the country? : Comments

By Peter Bowden, published 22/5/2018

We do not want the Coalition to govern the country, but we prefer its leader, the current Prime Minister, to govern in preference to the leader of the alternative political party.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Which politician do we want to lead the country? Certainly one not in the pocket of multinationals or not his own man! And that probably includes all the current crop of easily bought pollies currently inhabiting the corridors of power in this country? Where are the bipartisan pollies of yesteryear that put the country and the people ahead of the party and or purely self-serving ambitions? If I had my druthers, it would be a foreigner. And that Black Bishop that read the Christen message of love at the recent royal wedding and had a few folks squirming with notable discomfort, including it would seem, former Jesuit applicant Tony Abbott? Where is that person who calls a spade a spade and holds fast to the GENUINE courage of conviction? Well, not in any of our parliaments' union head office or any church? And for mine a poisoned chalice only the insane or a veritable saint would accept!? New ideas? Why, how novel. Who'd have thought? Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 22 May 2018 10:46:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We had a legitimate, serving leader in Tony Abbott, but he was removed by the usurper and incompetent multi-millionaire, Malcolm Turnbull and his coterie of Leftists posing as 'moderates’ in an attempt to hide their true colours. Turnbull has no business being in politics, certainly not in what used to be the right of centre. Turnbull is a Leftist dud; Abbott will not be back, and there is no one suitable within our current, appalling political class.

As long as Australians remain complacent and, frankly, stupid, nothing will change and it is not worth talking about. The scum now in Canberra are selling us out to China, and we soon will not be able to talk about it even if we wanted to. Australia is rooted.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 22 May 2018 11:13:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I really thought Abbott had what it takes but he disappointingly turned out just to be another one so out of touch with real daily life that he had to go.
There's no-one in the present labor ranks who appears to know the meaning of integrity & the Coalition seems to have a similar dilemma.
I thought Porter had the image to be PM but judging by the way he handled Welfare he is now off my list. Dutton is strong but unfortunately suffers an image problem which should not be a problem but invariably will be one.
I think the best we could hope for is a Coalition Government with One nation holding the balance of power. Anything Left is simply not right.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 22 May 2018 11:29:33 AM
Is Peter Bowden really stupid enough to believe this bit of garbage, or is he just doing a bit of politicking, hoping to swing a few to the left. I suppose that as a lefty academic he could be that stupid, the brainwashing that goes on in universities today must have some effect on those doing the washing.

Then to assert that the "hard right" has control of the Libs, either stupidity or an attempt at a confidence trick.

How anyone could not understand the reason for the low polling of the Libs is unbelievable. It is the fact that Turnbull is leader that has the libs down in the polls. Dice Turnbull & you would see an immediate upswing in Liberal polling. Install Abbott, & the surge would win the next election in a land slide.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 22 May 2018 11:31:15 AM
Who the hell wants a politician to lead the country?

What we need is a like in Hawaii, a volcano-fissure opening beneath parliament house in Canberra while they are in session, swallowing them all!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 22 May 2018 11:59:02 AM
//What we need is a like in Hawaii, a volcano-fissure opening beneath parliament house in Canberra while they are in session, swallowing them all!//

Don't get your hopes up, mate. There are no active volcanoes on the Australian mainland, and certainly not in Canberra.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 22 May 2018 12:06:59 PM
Unfortunatley we don't have a Donald Trump.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 22 May 2018 12:20:37 PM
FORTUNATELY we don't have a Donald Trump!
Posted by Aidan, Tuesday, 22 May 2018 12:32:35 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
individual,

Sure, Abbott wasn't perfect, and he certainly disappointed me when he chickened out on Sec 18 after he promised to amend or scrap it. But he was still better than what we have now: although I saw on TV last night that he might be becoming a drunk like Bob Hawke.

Hasbeen,

Peter Bowen is being Peter Bowen, not to be taken seriously. However, it is probably not easy to get contributors, and he and others like him make us aware of the problems some people are making for us. Best to take it in and try to be polite.

Yuyutsu,

A good volcano would most likely improve Canberra, and there must be a big computer that could run things better than the nincompoops driving Australia into the ground now.

runner,

Yes. I would like to try someone like him before a good computer, but your average Australian is too dumb and too downtrodden to vote for anything other than Liberal/Labor hacks. Having a leader who actually did what he promised, telling China where to go, and ridding us of the Paris Agreement and handouts to solar and wind rent-seekers (standing at $3.4 billion according to one of our few good politicians, Craig Kelly) would probably kill them with shock.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 22 May 2018 2:50:36 PM
There are so many politicians to choose from apart
from Malcolm Turnbull or Bill Shorten. How about
giving some younger ones a go?

People like Scott Morrison, or Chris Bowen?

Then let's not forget the females.
Capable women like - Julie Bishop, and Kelly O'Dwyer,
Tanya Plibersek and Penny Wong?

I read Adrian Crowe's comments on the web as to-

"Who would make a good Australian PM?"

Adrian wrote:

"Easy, Penny Wong. Every time. Unfortunately it seems
unlikely in the extreme that a female, gay, Asian
politicians could achieve that yet. Julia Gillard struggled
with only one group of bigots to convince. Despite her
eminent qualifications for the job - it's hard to imagine
Penny Wong could convince 3 groups of bigots."

We're steadily improving, but we're not there yet.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 22 May 2018 4:25:51 PM
never mind that Penny has shown complete contempt for Parliament by stealing papers. Then again a lesbian asian feminist could not do anything wong sorry wrong could she. Or is she identifying as a female still?
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 22 May 2018 4:29:24 PM
Yes. And when security officers went to her office to retrieve the documents, Wong refused to let them in. What will the government do about that? Nothing?

A truly dreadful female: a blight on her gender, straight or lesbian. In a set to with Cormann today, she told him that there were certain comments he could not make to her - because she is Asian. He had already made the comments, so stiff cheese, Wongy
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 22 May 2018 5:48:14 PM
Foxy do you really think being a crooked lawyer is qualification for PM, regardless of the gender.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 22 May 2018 5:52:20 PM
Julie Bishop, and Kelly O'Dwyer,
Tanya Plibersek and Penny Wong?

As that chap in the 'Vicar of Dibley" would say "yes,yes,yes, No !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 22 May 2018 6:08:09 PM
On our current leader, I was appalled to read that the drunk who flipped him the bird in a pub has been fined for it. Even given all Turnbull's faults I cannot belive he would want that to happen. Looks like the police state is with us.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 22 May 2018 6:35:27 PM
Dear Hassie,

Isn't our Parliament full of lawyers?
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 22 May 2018 7:13:29 PM
our Parliament full of lawyers?

Problem identified, how to get the electorate to make an informed decision is the big challenge.
The other problem is the Westminster system. Although in a way better than most, it has not been modified i.e. loopholes being closed.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 24 May 2018 7:24:52 AM
Hello there.. This is the author of the article, with his comments. Both on the article, and on the commentary.

First, I wonder why nobody mentioned Anthony Albanese. Ask any right wing friend of yours and he/she will tell you that they trust Albanese. I would have included Julie Bishop, but she blotted her copybook this week by defending Israel's shooting of unarmed civilians. The United Nations condemned it, but Australia licked the boots of the United States and both countries voted against the UN resolution

The second comment is much more important. On Line Opinion should insist on real names from commentators . It would eliminate a lot of the garbage that passes for commentary,as commentators could not hide behind a pseudonym. It would lift the impact of the whole article immeasurably .With it it would lift the impact of On line Opinion ...Peter Bowden
Posted by PeterBo, Thursday, 24 May 2018 10:31:53 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Albanese seems like a nice fellow, however he seems
to have difficulty in communicating. Not sure if people
would want him representing us on the global level.
Still I suppose Mr Abbott wasn't a great communicator
either, nor was Julia Gillard. Nor is Bill Shorten,
Come to think of it, who is? Malcolm Turnbull springs
to mind. But wait - what has he done thus far?

Damn!
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 24 May 2018 7:05:10 PM
Dear Peter,

«On Line Opinion should insist on real names from commentators»

So that politicians will know exactly who wishes the earth to swallow them?

Couldn't be more subtle than the fox and the cat asking Pinocchio to plant his coins in the ground, or for a paedophile to tell kids "come to my home and I'll give you more sweets".
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 24 May 2018 11:56:15 PM
There have been two leaders in the past decade willing to have a go, and both got axed. Tony Abbott and Campbell Newman. Both men had big plans which involved pain, but hey, while most enjoyed Kevin 07's free money, paying it back was not an option as they thought it was just a gift. Go figure. Newman went too hard, too quick and got railroaded by the dick from Redcliffe, while Abbott kicked too many own goals. Peter Dutton for mine. But either way Turnbull must go and fast.
Posted by rehctub, Sunday, 27 May 2018 9:43:11 PM
Which politician do we want to lead the country?
We should just have a raffle and choose our leaders at random from the phone book.
- We could hardly do any worse than the current choices.
Vote 1 - 'None of the above'
Posted by Armchair Critic, Sunday, 27 May 2018 10:44:28 PM
Hi PeterBo,
"On Line Opinion should insist on real names from commentators . It would eliminate a lot of the garbage that passes for commentary,as commentators could not hide behind a pseudonym. It would lift the impact of the whole article immeasurably .With it it would lift the impact of On line Opinion"

Your arguments may have merit, but as an anonymous poster I'd like to argue the reasons why I'd oppose it.

I sometimes like to use every bit of section 18d without breaking 18c.
I may sometimes talk some garbage; (it's true) but other times I'm serious and I like to dig right into all of the pro's and con's.
Sometimes some of these things I say are controversial and often not politically correct. If I had to post under my real name I wouldn't feel comfortable saying some of the things I do
(Or risk being attacked on social media or elsewhere)

Forcing people to post under real names would effectively silence conservative or non-politically correct views.

This in my opinion would take away the whole appeal of OLO, (for me) which in my opinion is that the site is non-bias, that comments are not moderated or censored and that I'm able to speak freely on the type of topics and discussions found here.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 28 May 2018 12:12:23 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy