The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why isn’t more research reproducible? > Comments

Why isn’t more research reproducible? : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 30/4/2018

At the heart of the problem is a failure both to follow good research design practices and to understand statistics properly.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
Ant go back to school, & get enough math so you can follow the scientific arguments.

Then for a starter, try to follow the math trail in simple places like notrickszon.com or Tallbloke's Talkshop. Even What's Up With That has articles that could gently lead you to using your grey matter for a change.

When you can do that you will be ready to go further.

Just squirting garbage links to the scam artists does not represent any sort of scientific argument. If they don't give their reasoning or the math, it is simply garbage

It probably doesn't matter much. With the reduction in sunspots the grand heater in the sky is about to take a hand by the looks of things. It is going to get cold, how cold we don't yet know, but cold enough to stuff up the elites, & their use of useful idiots like you to take our current standard of living off us, & return us to our place.

So much of the old money has backed this scam to put the peasantry back in its place, they will fight tooth & nail to finish the job, but I think Sol is going to beat them. Unfortunately for them, they started to believe their own propaganda, & did not go fast enough to achieve their objective, before mature started to take a hand. Now it's all too late, they & dills who believe are bound to fail.

Lots of soap will ultimately get the egg off your face, but not out of your mind.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 4 May 2018 1:22:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen ... I was wondering about what denier blogs you have visited, I have visited one you mentioned in the past a number of times. I'll visit the other you mentioned.

Later:

More cherry picking and information shown to be wrong a long time ago.

In response to an article from one of your references.

Geothermal activity found under Thwaites Plateau , does not explain other areas of Antarctica, or all of melt from Thwaites Glacier. Examples being, other Pine Island glaciers, the break down of Larsen A, B, and C ice shelves; or Totten glacier of Eastern Antarctica. Nor does it explain the breakdown of the cryosphere at other parts of the globe.
The author of your denier blog was jumping to conclusions.

Antarctica, excluding ice shelves, is a much bigger continent than Australia, it being roughly a third bigger.
Posted by ant, Friday, 4 May 2018 4:28:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen ..in addition.

Thwaites glacier is 113,000 square miles in area, in comparison to Victoria which is 97,749 square miles in area, while New Zealand is 103,483 square miles in area Geothermal activity does not explain all of the melting in other words. The article from your reference does not take into account the cryosphere of the globe generally.

In relation to a tanker that sailed the Arctic in winter 2018 which I wrote about on Onlineopinion; it was described as the first ever winter passage by a tanker. A correspondent stated that the tanker was built as an ice breaker which could travel through sea ice. Later, I found that the maximum thickness of sea ice the ship could travel through was 2.1 metres thick. It was silly really for me to have accepted the critical comments from the correspondent, as in the past Arctic sea ice was much thicker than the 2.1 metres thick that the tanker could travel through.

The message: check from prime sources where possible.
Posted by ant, Friday, 4 May 2018 5:43:35 PM
This article is an insult the the millions of scientists around the world that have committed their entire lives to push the boundaries of human knowledge and solve the issues we face around us. Making presumptions over things you do not have a full understanding of and producing this naive article is the complete opposite of what a proper scientist would do. You mentioned statistics in your article, but it appears you do not have proper understanding of its use. You should read up on it/take an online course such as these:
https://www.studypug.com/statistics/data-interpretation/bivariate-scatter-plots-and-correlation
https://www.coursera.org/learn/intro-chemistry/lecture/XY8v2/scientific-method

before writing future articles on science.
Posted by Marshall Mosley, Tuesday, 8 May 2018 5:31:28 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy