The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Motorists > Comments

Motorists : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 18/4/2018

The tax penalty for buying a new car is a key reason why Australia has an old car fleet, with the average age of cars in Australia around 10 years.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Plantagenet, what the hell does that mean? Is your point relevant to this discussion? If so what you are attempting to say? If not...........
Posted by ALTRAV, Thursday, 19 April 2018 6:58:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It not be the age of the Gogo car, per se.

But the monkey behind the wheel, in a subjective sort of way.

Comprehendi muchacho? Aye?
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 19 April 2018 7:55:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bazz the price of electric cars in Oz is not a rip off, it is actually below fair & reasonable price with respect to producing & supplying them, because of our tax payer funded subsidies. A huge cost in research & development went into them, which is still not being recouped. They are very expensive things to produce, particularly in the numbers actually wanted by the public.

That number is greatly inflated by our subsidies, & the much greater government subsidies in the other countries you mention.

This is one, & my main objection to electric cars, the idiots in government funding subsides, either for crony capitalism reasons, or because idiots like Turnbull are too dumb to see a con job even when it hits them in the face.

Government should not be in the business of picking winners, or favouring sections of industry. If someone wants an electric car, for whatever reason that is fine, provided they pay the price of owning & running the thing. It should not be up to us taxpayers to help you buy one, or fund the fuel supply for it with charging stations.

I don't know how many would buy an electric car if they had not fallen for the global warming scam, & judging by the low number who took up alternate power options when they personally had extra for it on their bill, I doubt it is very many. It should not be a function of government to subsidise in any way, the sale of electric cars.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 20 April 2018 1:07:46 PM
Hasbeen, Where is the subsidy applied by the Australian government.
There is none that I have seen.
Because of the inflated price they get hit by the "Luxury Tax" but
that seems to be the only financial policy applied to electric cars.
Development costs for the Nissan Leaf must have been well and truly
covered by now.
How come they are so much cheaper in other countries ?
Mechanically they are much simpler than their equivalent models.
After all $20,000 is a big differential !
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 20 April 2018 2:55:30 PM
Hasbeen, so good to hear another voice of reason. We have been subsidising the car industry, (and other industries) for so long it's a disgrace. I remember one year Holden was given a $300 million 'handout'(call it whatever you want). Do you know how much profit they declared that year? Yep, you got it. $300 million. These bastards are criminals and yes we are raped and pillaged by the govt's through their taxes and duties they add onto the price of EVERYTHING! Not just cars. As you may be aware from my previous posts, I was born here and yet I hate the place and the sh!tty, ;she'll be right' lazy bastards who make up the bulk of the population, who are more concerned about some sheep dying than the welfare of their own families. And these are the so called middle class. They will get off their ignorant backsides to picket some moronic irrelevant cause, but they won't do ANYTHING to try to pull these mongrels back into line. Now I don't mind if everyone else likes being lied too and have their money stolen from them under false pretenses, but I do. I would dearly love to form/join some form of vigilante group and straighten these thieving pollies back into line. I believe it is the only way to get fairness back into govt. Them knowing that if they step out of line there will be instant response and retribution. Anyone not conforming or complying would either be brain damaged or so arrogant as to feel he is invincible and thinks he can 'take care' of anyone who dares question him. If this scenario sounds a bit far-fetched and extreme, well it is. Govt's for decades have been abusing their positions and we are the abused. All I can say is Australians must have/earn a lot of money, or are they just too lazy. BTW I am so sick of reading/hearing what a wonderful country this is and how we are lucky. I would like to see these people silenced, they are so out of touch with EVERYTHING.
Posted by ALTRAV, Friday, 20 April 2018 8:59:45 PM
thinkabit,

What you need to do is have a drive of a car that was meant to be driven; a car with a low centre of gravity, leaf springs, a powerful petrol engine, crash 4-speed box and one turn 'lock to lock' steering,
4 wheel mechanical brakes and a skimpy open body.

Then come back and tell us just how great the latest "Wheat-Bix" car is.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 20 April 2018 9:29:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy