The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Further reflections on the ABC’s Employable Me > Comments

Further reflections on the ABC’s Employable Me : Comments

By Bill Gamack, published 16/4/2018

This reminded me of a phrase I’ve heard bandied around in NDIS circles, and that’s working towards ‘a life more ordinary’.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
All well and good Bill, except where some of the more able are channelled into sheltered workshops, where most of the proceeds from repetitive work are channelled into very large pockets of, alleged administrators. XXX Employable me is admirable in every context, especially where it removes the disabled out of the hands of those who would exploit them for personal gain, be they those running so called sheltered workshops or NDIS Service Providers? Some apparently with criminal records etc.? XXX Again apologies for the partially disabled word (Microsoft) and consequent lack of normal paragraph spacing. XXX Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 16 April 2018 12:00:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I also thought it was a wonderful program. I have a son with Aspergers Syndrome who is now 48 years old. Aspergers was barely known about when my son was at school, and he experienced many problems with both his contemporaries and with teachers.
He was finally diagnosed at age 34, and his psychologist said at the time it was as severe a case as he had seen. By that stage my son had applied for literally dozens of jobs, been successful a few times, but there were always problems. As the psychologist pointed out at the time he did the diagnosis, they were jobs totally unsuited to a person with Aspergers.
My son now works three days per week in a very suitable job and in a very supportive environment. He has held that position for about 10 years now, and is much happier with his life. The point of my comment is to say that not all jobs will fit people with mental health issues such as being on the autism spectrum
Posted by Bilmc, Monday, 16 April 2018 12:32:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As someone who has raised a grandson with high functioning autism,
previously known as Apsergers, I have enjoyed the show so far and instantly recognised all their little signs of stress and discomfort. It’s great to know that at least one employment agency is actually doing practical work with these young people to try and find work that suits them. Our experience hasn’t been positive with our local agency.
It is also great that the wider community can see the contribution these guys can make to society and gain a greater understanding of some of the issues involved.
However, I would have liked to seen some small mention of the problems associated with employment from the point of an employer.
Getting the job is only a small part of the issue. Maintaining a regular and consistent attendance is another. For example, my grandson works part time fixing smart phones and iPads, a job and work environment he loves, however there are days when he is so overwhelmed and stressed that he won’t even get out of bed, let alone go to work. These episodes may last a day or it can be weeks before he improves. Being autistic he doesn’t even always know himself what sets this off so there is no preventative measures that can be taken.
Not many employers can afford to have workers that go missing for varying amounts of time, my grandson is one of the lucky ones, to have found an employer who keeps his job open when these episodes happen.
This limits the type of work they can do unfortunately.
Posted by Big Nana, Monday, 16 April 2018 1:41:12 PM
Gees AB look up open office.
Exactly the same and its free.
Forget microscum and their gouging.
Posted by mikk, Monday, 16 April 2018 8:32:10 PM
Love this series.
Really appreciate how it shows a completely different view of what an employee can be - way outside the narrow band of high university marks and the right school. Also makes me wonder how much more job satisfaction we could each have if we went through the same process of understanding our strengths and worked in jobs that were right for us.
Posted by coothdrup, Tuesday, 17 April 2018 12:50:58 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy