The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Reflections on the first episode of the ABC’s Employable Me > Comments

Reflections on the first episode of the ABC’s Employable Me : Comments

By Bill Gamack, published 9/4/2018

Employable Me, the ABC's current three-part documentary following people with disability as they look for work is well worth watching.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Hear, hear and well said Bill. XXX Employable me should by required viewing by all employers and the resident brain dead troglodytes, who know who they are? XXX We need to get away from this judging a book by its cover or what we can't do but rather by what we can do! XXX This lesson well and truly rammed home when I was just a teenager boosting my meagre income with some summer school holiday, bulk delivery work for a local garment factory. XXX Their senior storeman, brilliant, super competent, most valued and valuable employee in every sense of the word, was an autistic spastic. Who rode/wobbled to and fro on his tricycle, or was ferried in a taxi, given he could never ever pass a driving skills test! XXX Just how well would such a person be served by completely autonomous vehicles? XXX Yet those who could ease this particular burden for the disabled, continue to prevaricate and vacillate! Stand there, just don't do something! XXX Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 9 April 2018 10:48:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Honourable choices....tick.
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 9 April 2018 11:08:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree 'Employable Me' surpassed all of my expectations. The most important quality of the episode was that as the program progressed each of the individuals became a person I could relate to and like, for while their disability continued to be present it was diminished by their personality and openness.
It's interesting that when you know another, you see the them.

Strongly recommend the program - The book 'Far From The Tree' - Andrew Solomon is also a must read.
Mn
Posted by mn, Monday, 9 April 2018 11:13:48 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy