The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Listen and learn: the importance of parking our predjudice > Comments

Listen and learn: the importance of parking our predjudice : Comments

By Bill Gamack, published 6/4/2018

Jon Faine's recent ABC radio interview with disability activist Carly Findlay in itself revealed how people with disability are treated differently in daily life and everyday conversations. Here's how to do it better.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Faine is a misanthrope and absolute idiot; a disgrace even to the ABC. The halfwit who wanted to 'pray’ for Carly is just that - a halfwit.

As for Bill Gamack, don't give us advice on how to treat people with disabilities; just because you make a living out of them doesn't give you a licence to instruct other people on human relations
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 6 April 2018 9:29:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes, just because you look like a dribbling idiot doesn't make you one. My main beef is with clinicians who think once you've had a stroke, you're little better than a vegetable. And relatives who think your ability to drive is now impaired. And will assist you with a distant medical appointment, but only if you surrender your keys to them. And when you do, find that their driving skills are far less than yours! XXX Even so, he medical profession and almost everybody else just don't want to trust you behind the wheel. And tantamount to being asked to surrender the last vestiges of your very, very important independence! XXX Yet see no problem with you living alone and coping with all the little activities that are part of a singular lifestyle! XXX I've managed more than anybody except me expected. 40 odd years ago, forced into early retirement with five spinal fractures, walked through death's door with multiple PE's. And again with a haemorrhagic stroke. XXX I agree with the article and state that some of our brightest thinkers were trapped like Stephan Hawking, inside their useless bodies. XXX We're still are normal human beings in every sense of the word with needs, thoughts, ideas and feelings of our own, none more critical than to be listened to when voicing our own well thought through opinion. We, our whole of life experience, learning and our opinions are not irrelevant, any more than yours are! XXX Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 6 April 2018 11:33:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Because the writer makes a handsome little drink from disability he seems to think he can bully and trumpet over the rest of us. I am sick of this micro aggression nonsense. It is people being rude so then respond accordingly.
To use disabled people as a club to hit the rest of us is pretty low.
You go ahead and help the people you are paid to help and leave me alone. I would treat your attempts to micro aggress me more stridently than you would expect.
Lovely that Faine was hung out to dry and made to give a grovelling apology which is the fate of all these people in the industry eventually. I gloat over all these lefties brought undone like previous religionists put to the Inquisition!
Posted by JBowyer, Saturday, 7 April 2018 1:53:25 PM
My mother suffered from dementia. She passed away
on 26th January 2018. I worked as a volunteer
(part-time) in the dementia wing of the nursing
home in which she lived for a brief time.

I learned so much from the residents and their
family members. The author of this article gives
us some very good advice. Of course it can be
confronting finding yourself in a situation that
you're just at a loss of how to behave. However,
if we could just remember how we would like to be
treated were we in that situation ourselves - it may
help.

A close family friend has just been diagnosed
with Parkinson's. I look forward to spending time
with her - and having the same long lunches that
we love sharing along with my freshly baked scones
with jam and cream.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 7 April 2018 8:52:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy