The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > End-of-Life Care – We Can and Must Do Better > Comments

End-of-Life Care – We Can and Must Do Better : Comments

By Greg Donnelly, published 15/3/2018

As the debate about euthanasia rages, end-of-life and palliative care is neglected, with both quality and availability lacking. And yet, that's what the majority of dying people need so they can die at home without pain.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

Dear Greg (the author),

You wrote :

« What continues to puzzle me is why those who state they are so committed to reducing pain and suffering in society appear to do so little to bring about actual improvements in both the quality and availability of palliative and end-of-life care. They say the right things, but that is where it seems to end »

So what are you doing about it, Greg, that "they" don't do ?

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Thursday, 15 March 2018 9:02:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
BJ,

The author is a politician; presumably he would do what he could if he feels as strongly as he does. However, given the poor quality of Australian politicians, which would certainly extend to his colleagues, he probably thinks writing about it is the best thing he can do: somebody might listen. He might stir up enough citizens to demand something be done.

After all, it is we citizens who are supposed to be calling the tune and telling politicians in our employ what we want them to do.

What are you doing about it, BJ?
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 15 March 2018 10:33:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm not sure what the problem here is.

As far as I know elderly people are provided with
palliative care in nursing homes - and arrangements
can be made to have this sort of care provided at
home for them. Nobody has to suffer in pain. A good
GP will be able to offer asssstance in this matter
or point families in the right direction as to what is
available to them and their loved ones.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 15 March 2018 5:50:15 PM

Dear ttbn,

You ask :

« What are you doing about it, BJ? »

I vote for politicians who, to the best of my judgement, are most likely to do what I think best for the country.

What about you, ttbn, what are you doing about it ?

While waiting for your reply, I see that Greg, the author of this article, has not yet indicated what he is doing "to bring about actual improvements in both the quality and availability of palliative and end-of-life care".

How du you interpret his silence ?

To me, it seems to indicate that, as a politician ... and I quote his credentials :

« Greg Donnelly is a Labor Party member of the New South Wales Legislative Council. He has been in the Legislative Council since February 2005. He is currently the Deputy Opposition Whip in the Legislative Council. He is the Chair of General Purpose Standing Committee No. 2 and Deputy Chair of the Standing Committee on Social Issues. He is also a member of the Privileges Committee, the Committee on Children and Young People, the Select Committee on the Legislative Council Committee System and the Select Committee on Human Trafficking »

... he can do absolutely nothing about it at all !

If that is, indeed, the case, then I think it is very sad. Don't you agree ?

There must be something terribly wrong with the way our democracy works - or should I say : with the way it doesn't work ?

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Saturday, 17 March 2018 4:14:07 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy