The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Gippsland Lakes debacle > Comments

The Gippsland Lakes debacle : Comments

By Anthony Amis, published 8/3/2018

In 2015 the Victorian Auditor-General delivered a damning report on the mismanagement of Victoria's 10 Ramsar-listed wetlands.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Islanders don't catch tuna, they eat local fish stop talking greenie garbage, & start culling those mutton birds.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 11 March 2018 11:12:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tuna go into island waters to feed but not so much these days.
A 40 year old teacher told me he used to go fishing with his father in a hand paddled canoe and using custom hooks they could return with 8 to ten yellowfin tuna. But not anymore.

Island people say one big tuna used to feed a whole family and a few big tuna could feed a whole village.

Hasbeen, what do tuna eat and where does their food come from?

To my knowledge food for tuna used to come from seagrass nurseries for small fish such as pilchards and anchovy that used to teem out of the Gippsland Lakes estuary, for example.
Those small fish were food for tuna and other marine animals.

Hasbeen, who are the experts you indicated in a few posts back, or where is the evidence to prove me wrong?
Posted by JF Aus, Sunday, 11 March 2018 11:49:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This all started with a complaint that marine species were invading a supposedly aquatic or freshwater environment and salt was killing plants. Now JF Aus has the 'crisis' twisted around and the pilchards and anchovies are stuffed. There's only one sure thing if you're a greenie with wilderness between the ears. We'll all be ruined. Should call 'em Hanrahans.
Posted by Little, Sunday, 11 March 2018 12:14:40 PM
Try getting it right, Little.

Salt is killing aquatic plants in upper reaches of Gippsland Lakes.

Has anybody said salt is killing seagrass at (the) Lakes Entrance?

It's the deep dredging plus sewage nutrient pollution that has killed most seagrass in the lower lake/estuary.
Posted by JF Aus, Sunday, 11 March 2018 12:33:41 PM
I've got it exactly right JF Aus. In typical arrogant green mode you're trying to hijack the debate. The article says: So how did the Lakes become so environmentally degraded? An entrance to the ocean was constructed near Lakes Entrance in 1889, and this allowed salt water to enter the Lakes and impact on the fringing vegetation. Since then, the Thomson and Blue Rock Dams have been constructed, and intense irrigated farming in West Gippsland has further reduced fresh-water flows to the Lakes. Freshwater input has declined and tidal flush has increased. That kills your argument (not in the article) about pollution.
Posted by Little, Sunday, 11 March 2018 12:51:42 PM
Little,

The article also indicates the tidal salt water inflow has increased due to deepening of the entrance.
This lakes always had an entrance, but that lkely changed from time to time depending on outgoing runoff. Perhaps it was always open.

My comments are not necessarily about what caused all the damage to the lakes. Is thete only one cause according to you?
My comments refer to what the damaged lakes ecosystem has done to fish stocks and to downstream stakeholders including the Lakes Entrance, SE Vic, NSW, QLD coast and SW Pacific Islands - seafood linked communities.

Farmer's are always being blamed for too much fertilizer runoff while sewage nutrient overload dumped daily by government seems always ignored, in Australia at least at present.

Nutrient over-load pollution is feeding algae that is reducing sunlight essential for photosynthesis in seagrass.

I repeat, I am not a greenie. I have never sought or collected donations and never will.
Posted by JF Aus, Sunday, 11 March 2018 3:26:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy