The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Weaponising rumour: Australia's new political sensitivity > Comments

Weaponising rumour: Australia's new political sensitivity : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 5/3/2018

The threshold of debate in Australian politics has been sewer-low for decades, but the latest turn has added another disfiguring side.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Cash is one of the reasons that the ability of women to perform in public office is viewed with scepticism. She has demonstrated that quotas for women, just because they are women, is a very foolish way to go. Anyone who can be reduced to idiocy by an old Commo like Doug Cameron really needs to be sent to the back bench and eased out at the next election. Cash is embarrassment to a floundering prime minister, who was daft enough to defend her - just because she is a woman. Although, I must say that the leader of a country who turns up at a perverts' Mardi Gras, beaming about 'love and pride' doesn't need any help to look silly.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 5 March 2018 9:30:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Binoy most of us don't give a damn who does what to whom & with what in that little modern version of Peyton Place called Canberra.

If controlling just who was in who's pants was likely to give us better government it might matter. However whatever keeps them busy on things other than government is more likely to be advantageous, so mind your own business, & stop publishing this bulldust.

While they are busy in the bedroom, or the back streets, at least they are not thinking up some new stupidity like alternate power generation.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 5 March 2018 10:25:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is yesterday's news and already behind us and the joint settling down! Or would be, I believe, but for sh!t stirrers like the professionally divisive Author!

Who comes across as simply living for this stuff and a house divided against itself! And consequently, easy pickings, for the recruiting radicalists in our midst, and hiding in plain sight!?

Anyhow, Cash for comment (Cash's Comments) has taken on a whole new meaning. And doesn't Senator Cash look like a slim foxy chick, when she's going ape/ballistic?

I had a tumeric enlargement of historic proportions. And lifted the laptop! When she was threatening to air some female staffers dirty little sexual peccadilloes. Powerful women talking dirty are such an aphrodisiac.

I reckon she'd look hot in a bikini. She can put her slippers under my bed anytime she's that wound up energetic and passionate! And forgivable, as I'm not a member of her staff!

You're the top and on top Babe!
Wednesday is hump day, isn't it?
Dream, dream, dream, dream.
I can make you mine any day or time.
when all I have to do is Dream.
I want a dream lover,
so I don't have to dream alone.
Hahahaha! Just joking!

Let's have a little levity and perspective here! We're taking this stuff just far too seriously!

I don't think it matters who's bonking who, as long as it's in their own time and between consenting adults!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 5 March 2018 11:19:59 AM
So Hasbeen, which alternate power is stupid?

The coal fired one we're using and at around 24 cents or better per KwH, or one like that STUPID ivy league Professor (ret) Robert Hargreaves in his, Thorium, cheaper than coal, proposes, with a median price of a tad under two cents per KwH!

Or perhaps you think it's sensible to pay 24 cents or better for coal fired power or somewhere north of 50 cents per KwH for notoriously unreliable, intermittent renewables?

Perhaps you believe prize winning investigative Journalist, Richard Martin, is another one of those like minded, alternative power morons, with his book, Thorium, Superfuel, subtitled, green energy.

Or maybe you think former NASA scientist and highly credentialed nuclear technologist, Kirk Soresen is just dreaming with his decades long and personally costly advocation of walk away safe, molten salt, (officially forbidden, quote, unquote) Thorium nuclear energy!?

Or Maybe it's chemical engineer and inventor and patent holder of the first nuclear reactor, Alvin Weinberg, when he as the father of nuclear technology said, he passionately believed our only possible future was not only a nuclear powered one! But a thorium powered one and more specifically as MSR's? And there are dozens of others, but word limits, limit!

Well? All effed in the head? Or just among our most intelligent leaders and need to be finally listened to!

Preferably, before we bankrupt the joint trying to power it with horrendously expensive and unreliable renewables, battery back ups and land criss crossed with enormously expensive, highly vulnerable, gold plated, high voltage transmission lines connecting all the intermittent alternatives to the grid? At great and unnecessary expense!

Or maybe you don't read anymore, or just don't want the facts Hasbeen? Or as a critique just applicable to the advocates of renewables?

And thanks for the segway, old mate.
Cheers, Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 5 March 2018 12:04:25 PM
The unliked sniping at the unlikeable. All sounds very “homosexual”.
Paintball politics.
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 5 March 2018 1:06:25 PM
Hasbeen,

I'm sure that you didn't intend to hit Alan in the thorium!!
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 5 March 2018 1:06:30 PM
Diver, everything you don't like probably sounds homsexual to you?

Hit into the thorium?

Ise Mise: What has caused the local climate change realities as reported on this morning's A.M. What do you think is causing current climate change? Not forbidden Thorium!

Just the "Geniuses that are working overtime to keep it/any research into its power to the people possibilities.

Senator Scott Ludlam, Wasn't sharp enough to check his eligibility? Claimed the fissile material created in a MSR thorium reactor, can be weaponized, hasn't a clue how the weapons grade material is extracted?

In a traditional solid fuel reactor, used rods are plunged into an extremely strong acid, which separates out a tiny percentage of weapons grade plutonium.

In a molten salt reactor, the reaction needs to continue for a few weeks to create U133. The fissile material created, keeps the neutron exchange reaction going.

This material is just a few grams at any one time/seriously diluted! Given the sheer volume of the rest of the molten solution! Extracting enough of the new, highly radioactive material from an already extremely acidic solution, is not doable by any chemical engineering means I'm familiar with. And I've dissolved/precipitated gold, tin/several other minerals.

Perhaps we should bow to Senator Scott Ludlam's superior chemical engineering skills, so he can explain how this inordinately dangerous and difficult separation would actually be accomplished. As the tons needed to make a bomb!

In the ordinary course of events. These isotopes would be allowed to follow a beta decay path to a final product, then extracted in tiny amounts still useful, as complete medical/one other isotope.

With the very final end product, when every erg of energy and resultant medical isotope has been completely extracted. Far less toxic waste, around 1%, all we have for long life space batteries. We are running out of it!

Our coal fired power stations will be decommissioned inside twenty years? What do we replace them with, solar panels? Suggest you watch tonight's Four Corners.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 5 March 2018 5:24:16 PM
A nuclear reactor, any nuclear reactor can be used to make the isotope need to create a fusion bomb! And then as grapefruit sized weapons of enormous complete destructive ability! Still limit ground zero to around a mile as deployable tactical nuclear weapons.

The reactor at Lucas heights would serve as the active nuclear source, if we so chose!

So simply turning our backs on thorium and the notoriously difficult and dangerous task of weaponizing U133 prevents nothing!

And only seriously intellectually challenged morons would believe we'd become more of a threat to anybody, the nuclear non proliferation treaty, or our near neighbours by cracking on developing A locally designed and manufactured MSR.

And then using it to burn other folks dangerous nuclear waste or weapons grade material, in far greater safety than the hundreds of reactors around the world and in shipping, currently producing power as expensive as 6 cents per KwH.

However the waste we'd very safely burn and power the joint for a thousand years? Would cost us nothing, zilch, a big fat zero!

In fact other folk would pay us annual billions to take tons and tons of unspent but slightly burnt fuel and dispose of it for them, and if the world ever comes to its senses, weapons grade material!

And in complete safety, with any radiation prevented from impacting the local environment by a completely surrounding, but ventilated concrete box!

Why even a box culvert reassigned would serve, if both ends were also secured by a couple more placed at right angles at each end.

That's why we should transition to nuclear power! ASAP!

A High school grad, can be taught to safely run or shut down a MSR, in around three months! That's why many ships/boats, have more than one!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 6 March 2018 10:35:04 AM
Alan B.,
"And only seriously intellectually challenged morons would believe we'd become more of a threat to anybody, the nuclear non proliferation treaty, or our near neighbours by cracking on developing A locally designed and manufactured MSR."
Nobody here, whether intellectually challenged or otherwise, has claimed it would be.
Though I doubt anyone now thinks we would be even with conventional uranium reactors.
Posted by Aidan, Tuesday, 6 March 2018 12:30:25 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
the same people who insist on quotas then complain when the fruit is produced. Malcolms team of women really have not performed.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 6 March 2018 2:06:44 PM
FFS....Alan B just doesn't get it.....there's no money in Thorium
People can't afford to take a loss in what they've already invested in just to change to Thorium.
What Alan needs to do is build his thorium reactor and then sell it to the investors.....meanwhile everyone is happy making money with things as they are.
Personally I'm tired of hearing Alan's bleating about thorium...thorium. ..thorium...how about duck droppings....don't they have any energy value?
Posted by Special Delivery, Tuesday, 6 March 2018 7:43:20 PM
Malcolm's team of women weren't meant to perform...they're there to make up the quota....bur then given the performance of the males, the bar isn't set very high
Posted by Special Delivery, Tuesday, 6 March 2018 7:45:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy