The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Science or silence? My battle to question doomsayers about the Great Barrier Reef > Comments

Science or silence? My battle to question doomsayers about the Great Barrier Reef : Comments

By Peter Ridd, published 12/2/2018

The reef is supposedly almost dead from the combined effects of a warming climate, nutrient pollution from Australian farms, and smothering sediment from offshore dredging.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. All
Agro:The grant money has to be spent on the project or given back.

Like all grant money. So it gets wasted on crap science, fake wages, consultancies just to use up all the money. The same happens with Amateur Sporting Clubs, etc. I remember those days. Spend on apparatus you don't really need, work out what's left then pay volunteers just to use it all up otherwise you have a hard time explaining why you need so much next year.
Posted by Jayb, Friday, 16 February 2018 3:10:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
JFAus

Extinct coral reefs...

The Austrian Alps would be among the most dramatic. But all corals went extinct 250m years ago, so extinct coral reefs abound.
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 16 February 2018 7:31:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
JF Aus

Why are the microscopic calcium bases of that algae not dissolving due to acid...?
Your question.

The oceans are acidifying. They are a long way from acidic. Point .1 Ph since industrial revolution. But predictions are not good for the future. The acidification process is accelerating.
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 16 February 2018 7:41:30 PM
diver dan

The Austrian Alps including coral limestone reef is still there, the original reef now reef of limestone is not gone, is not extinct.

There has been reported so called scientific evidence ocean acidification is linked to coral bleaching. So I am asking why microscopic calcite is not dissolving or otherwise impacted by acid able to damagr coral.

Anyway from my view based on long term observation and evidence of substance, coral bleaching is linked to cause of ocean dead zones.
Excessive nutrient is proliferating excessive algae that sometimes takes up available oxygen, bloom mass sometimes covers coral, suffocating the coral zooanthellae algae and coral animal, leading to bleaching/whitening.

Yet JCU and GBRMPA seem to ignore nutrient load totals from sewage effluent dumped daily.
Somehow farmers are blamed, when by nature rivers only run with runoff following rain.

And over abundance of algae is feeding over abundance of COTS larvae leading to plagues killing coral.

Reduce the nutrient load. Recycle. Use algae to produce biofuel.

Peter Ridd, how about you apply your honesty and real science, and research impact of the total nutrient load within the sediment flow entering GBR waters.
Posted by JF Aus, Friday, 16 February 2018 8:55:57 PM
Jf Aus: Excessive nutrient is proliferating excessive algae that sometimes takes up available oxygen, bloom mass sometimes covers coral, suffocating the coral zooanthellae algae and coral animal, leading to bleaching/whitening.

Actually I would say the nutrient run-off is about a zillion times less than it was before the damming of all the Rivers on the East Coast. Maybe that's what's causing the die-off

Yet JCU and GBRMPA seem to ignore nutrient load totals from sewage effluent dumped daily.

I wonder why? Maybe because there is none on the Northern East Coast. In fact I would say almost zero. I don't know of any towns that pump effluent out to sea like they do in Sydney. Lots of blind Barra's on Bondi when the wind changes.
Somehow farmers are blamed, when by nature rivers only run with runoff following rain.
Posted by Jayb, Friday, 16 February 2018 9:06:28 PM
Diver Dan, oceans are never acidic, except in the lies of climate fraud promoters, so you are showing your ignorance again.
“‘Acid’ is an emotive word to the general public, which is why it is seized upon by the alarmists in their search for yet another scare. In reality increasing CO2 makes the ocean become ‘less alkaline’, but never ‘acid’.
https://quadrant.org.au/opinion/doomed-planet/2012/05/the-myth-of-acidification-of-oceans/
Posted by Leo Lane, Friday, 16 February 2018 9:17:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11