The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia Day: when should we celebrate? > Comments

Australia Day: when should we celebrate? : Comments

By Russell Grenning, published 19/1/2018

Various suggestions have been made for a new date from some significant event in the World War 11 Pacific campaign or the date (27 May) of the overwhelmingly successful 1967 referendum.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Raycom, that is true...although 'wisdom' does depend upon your definition of it. At least you are now a little wiser recognising Senator Di Natale is not a Tasmanian Senator.
Posted by minotaur, Saturday, 20 January 2018 2:48:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Minotaur,

Did Bourke use that term or is it a repeated interpretation put on his words by the National Archives of the UK ? A word-for-word transcript wouldn't be that hard, I've done thousands of pages of that.

But I liked this: " .... the Aboriginal occupants had rights in the lands (and this was confirmed in a House of Commons report on Aboriginal relations in 1837)". And written into law in (I suspect) all Australian colonies by 1850, AND is still in pastoral leases.

And you're saying that, in his judgment, Blackburn J. went against any talk of 'Terra Nullius' and at least partially recognised Aboriginal people's rights to land ? Did he actually use the term himself ? If not, then who did, in all of our 230 years of history ?

Still looking :)

And I agree that " .... I could also go to remote communities in Australia where many children are well cared for and going to school, getting a good education and have great ambitions/hopes for their futures..... ' when you add " .... And they live in houses that are well cared for and have parents with jobs."

Yes, indeed. But slightly diverting from the main concerns: clearly mine are that there is a strong correlation between unemployment, neglect, squalor and poor education; AND between good health, hygiene, cleanliness, good education for the kids AND work. But I think you knew that. :)

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Saturday, 20 January 2018 3:32:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How about we celebrate when the Federation came into being? While the settlement of Sydney Cove is a pivotal moment in our history, several of the others settlements did not exist, and were formed separately by different first fleets. It was not until the Federation we became one nation. Before this, we were a collection of colonies, each with their own identity, and history all celebrated locally.
Posted by Jon R, Sunday, 21 January 2018 8:56:37 AM
Oh look Alan B describes fact as bile and wants to invent a time machine to solve the problems.

That isn't a really strong basis to argue your case Alan...lmao

You don't need a time machine... You are already 40 years behind in your thinking so we can refer to you as to where we went wrong...If only you knew the difference between right and wrong...lmao

So I guess like all people whose best days have past we should ignore you because some of us have moved on from the dark ages...lmao

Change the Date of Australia Day and ignore the troglodytes...

It's the only perfect solution!
Posted by Opinionated2, Wednesday, 24 January 2018 1:44:51 PM
Self-Op2,

On another current thread, you remark that " .... you people expect the aborigines to get to our level in 230 years when you couldn't do it given the same circumstances."

Then you slag Alan B with this: "You are already 40 years behind in your thinking...."

Ummmm ........ your first remark could easily be construed as being a hundred years behind the times, certainly the sort of thing one might have heard fifty or sixty years ago, and from pretty ignorant people, on both the Left and Right.

Currently, there are around 54,000 Indigenous university graduates, overwhelmingly in mainstream degree-level courses, with another 3,500-4,000 graduating each year. That might come as a surprise to pretty ignorant people, on both the Left and Right.

Would you like to clarify your assertions ?

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 24 January 2018 2:05:51 PM
My assertions don't need clarification to anyone but you...Loudmouth.

I am just responding to the imbecilic and backward comments people make to me.

You love putting forward these things and I hope more aborigines get useful education but much of the Education system these days is more about keeping people off the unemployment numbers and pretending that all these graduates will get jobs in the fields they are studying.

That like the treatment of aborigines is also a national disgrace.

You can't claim to be patriotic or a thinking Australian when you fight lost causes to the very end and then get beaten by smarter Aussies.

Look at the fight...Whether or not there are benefits to all of us by changing the date from the 26th January. WOW! such a minute thing that helps heal many, many wounds and yet the troglodytes amongst us can't see that!

The simplest way to advance Australia is to be fair... The simplest way to heal the wounds that we whites have ignored is to honour the aborigines wishes and change the date.

Geez! If you backward thinkers can't be flexible in your thinking and your attitudes to do this simple minor thing then Australia is still pathetically backward due to those who can't change.

Are you against daylight saving in Qld because the extra hour of sun each day fades the curtains and the cows won't know when to come in for milking...lmao

It's time to let the smarter people make the decisions...You guys are blind to how you are holding us back!

You people are simply against positive change and that is your big position...lol

Change the date!
Posted by Opinionated2, Wednesday, 24 January 2018 11:04:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy