The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sovereign risk and social responsibility > Comments

Sovereign risk and social responsibility : Comments

By Russell Schneider, published 8/1/2018

This is compounded by social media, where 'activists' can create the impression of wide spread community concern about an issue.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Entirely so.
Posted by Toby Ralph, Monday, 8 January 2018 11:25:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I remember the days when virtually all private health funds were operated by friendly societies in not for profit paradigms, so that the most could affordably benefit, rather than dividend dependant shareholders.

But then those were the days when a roof over the head was considered a human right as was health care, even where to preserve scarce taxpayer dollars, it was a means tested public amenity, as was a significant pool of public housing! Public education stood alone as a non means tested human right?

When we were the third wealthiest country on the planet and debt free creditor one at that. When we owned an affordable energy sector, a bank, an airline with an enviable rep as the safest in the world; and the telco, and where the guaranteed income from those amenities ensured that the budget remained mostly in surplus.

As it would be now, if common sense had replaced political expediency, fiscal incompetence, economic illiteracy and greed

Sovereign risk is a nonsense of most concern to debt laden tax avoiding, price gouging, profit repatriating, foreign investors.

As Caveat Emptor, applies to every purchase!

It applies even more so to risked capital. And risked capital the very cornerstone of alleged capitalism!

Every western style economy rest solely on just two support pillars, which together with health and education need to remain in public hands or co-ops! If only to keep them here working for us and ours, rather than some profit gouging, tax avoiding, profit repatriating foreigners, whose loyalties are fastened or welded to a mindless profit graph and the lowest common denominator.

Yes, we need foreign investment, not record debt merely masquerading as investment that invariably comes with foreign control and foreign masters.

When all we've ever needed was, popular almost everywhere else, self terminating thirty year bonds, with a tax free status to ensure there was a complete take up and a queue!

Time for a new paradigm that once again puts Australia and Australians first!

We don't need another war to ensure that happens, do we?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 8 January 2018 1:53:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Alan,

You're talking about logic and from what I've observed about this forum it's where you present a chosen belief in an entirely unemotional way, that has very little to back it up, and call it the truth.
Religion is one such topic.
A forum where one is either on the right or the left of an issue so that one can wade between the ads placed intermittently between comments.
I good idea is a good idea, irrespective of the political stance of the person who makes it.
For instance I could make a comment such as, 'I think the Semite issue will be the downfall of the US' .....and immediately I would have those espousing an opinion based on their beliefs and presumptions and nothing to do with fact and whether all have the same understanding as to what a 'Semite' is.....and you could make book on that they don't.
You want Australia first/....understandable however one needs to establish what an 'Australian' is, beyond the self professing based on perceived entitlement and having a jingoistic bias.
Posted by ilmessaggio, Tuesday, 9 January 2018 1:22:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy