The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Gender pay gap > Comments

Gender pay gap : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 7/12/2017

The Agency's approach is lazy and simplistic, reporting a crude figure that fails to compare like with like.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
If and if and if?

What?

Try harder, this is well below par and just represents, I believe, a genuine misogynist's position?

And try comparing apples with apples and hourly rates, not salaries which favour blokes, who have all their comparative hours recognised!?

In any event, we are paying you far to much! If this always divisive stuff is your very best work!?

If only the world were flat, we could go back to the way things used to be!?

Got burned by SSM did we? And now need to get a bit of dirty water off the chest? And guess who were the preferred target?

When are we going to get politicians bright enough so that they do not need division just to win a cosy, taxpayer funded, overpaid job?

And instead actually do something actually both productive and useful! One or two new ideas would help, even where that's a novel and new experience!?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 7 December 2017 9:39:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi David,
I always thought this issue was over exaggerated.
Thanks for bringing the facts, and for also bringing Milo to Australia.
The left deserve a little pushback.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 7 December 2017 9:44:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have never agreed with the so called " gender pay gap". I have always understood that women frequently make career choices that provide a lesser income than they could have earned in another industry.
This is a choice however. It's a century at least since women were banned or discouraged from entering the higher paid positions, especially in medicine, law and science. And a good 50 years since women were made to give up work once they married, such as teachers.
It's true that women are handicapped by biology, if they wish to have children they will always find it harder to reach the top echelons of any profession, however since we have been told that men and women are totally equal, interchangeable in fact, then that handicap cannot be taken into account. Not unless you want to admit that men and women actually are different and have different strengths and weaknesses.
Posted by Big Nana, Thursday, 7 December 2017 10:41:47 AM
Men have different strengths and weakness from other men. Take David for instance probably be killed by a single day of collecting baled hay by hand. let alone dawn to dark weeks, during the height of summer?

And as an intellectual giant, possibly beaten in chess by my 6 year old granddaughter. Moreover, my current housekeeper is a belt belt karate proponent, who'd likely wipe the floor with him in hand to hand combat?

Yes men and women are different and thank God for that difference! Me, I like reversed roles, but only in the bedroom!

You'll have a nice day now y'hear.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 7 December 2017 11:19:47 AM
When a government creates an agency called the Workplace Gender Equality Agency you can be sure of two things:

1. When they do their research it is 100% certain that they'll discover that there is an equity gap that needs fixing. Irrespective of the data the gap will be found. After all there are jobs to be protected - their jobs.

2. The problem will NEVER be fixed. Again, if the agency indeed fixed this problem that they've 'discovered' they'd be out of a job. Consequently, there'll always be an equity gap that ONLY the agency can resolve even though they'll never actually resolve it.

There is no pay gap in Australia. If they could find a job where men were paid differently to women for doing the same work in the same hours at the same location, they'd have found a crime since its illegal to pay differently on grounds of sex or any other grounds other than age. They haven't and they never will find such a situation.

The Senator has done a reasonable job in listing the main reasons why woemen earn overall less than men. These factors have been well known for over two decades which is why they are routinely ignored by people like the Workplace Gender Equality Agency.

One other factor that the Senator hasn't mentioned, perhaps because there is a paucity of data in Australia is the nature of the work done by men and women. Data in the US (and there's no reason to doubt that its the same here) shows that 19 of the 20 most dangerous (in terms of death or significant injury) jobs are predominantly (ie over 90%) done by men. Dangerous jobs means better pay.

Take that and the other factors mentioned in the article and you find that the wage gap disappears.

But to people like the Workplace Gender Equality Agency none of that matters one iota. And it never will.
Posted by mhaze, Thursday, 7 December 2017 2:56:40 PM
I am sure that Milo has something to say on this so called gender pay gap David. Truth is that overpaid tax payer funded feminist can't break free from their victim mentality despite facts not supporting them. Why do you think that these feminist journalist don't want us to know how much they suck from the public purse?
Posted by runner, Thursday, 7 December 2017 7:19:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy