The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The sad, sad story of the NBN > Comments

The sad, sad story of the NBN : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 2/11/2017

The NBN seems to have been a Kevin Rudd idea, and he used it effectively in his 2007 election campaign. It sounded good, too.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
I am in an areea where there is poor or no mobile phone service. NBN not connected yet; however, as it is in the area, when the power goes off, which it does frequently, the landline doesn't work. I wrote state and federal MPs who couldn't explain why. Only after Cyclone Debbie went through and those in rural areas couldn't contact the SES was it explained about the NBN node and the landlines not working when the power and internet went down. So, what does a mid-70's couple do in an emergency?
Posted by Newfie, Thursday, 2 November 2017 3:20:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey Newfie, you need a genie, a C.B and a handle! Got your ears on good buddy, 10/4.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 2 November 2017 4:13:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The original government vision for the NBN was not FTTH. The coalition and ALP toyed with various mixes of wireless, copper cable and fiber. In 2007 I summarized the proposals as:

"Both 12 mbps ADSL to at least 98% of the population:

* ALP: FTTN ADSL to 98%, rest unspecified "improved
broadband services"
* Coalition: 99% with ADSL2+ and WiMax"

From: "Why Max? Demystifying Broadband options for Tasmania",
2007: http://www.tomw.net.au/technology/it/broadband/

In 2008 the Australian Government appointed a "National Broadband Network Panel of Experts" to select from the wireless, copper cable and fiber options. Much to everyone's surprise, the panel rejected ALL the proposals and recommended FTTH instead: http://ministers.treasury.gov.au/DisplayDocs.aspx?doc=pressreleases/2009/036.htm&pageID=003&min=wms&Year=&DocType

At the time I thought this was a good idea. But is wasn't. The community thought they were going to get cheap high speed broadband by fiber: they can't. Fiber is affordable for high density city areas and new greenfield suburbs. It is not affordable for old suburbs or sparsely populated remote locations. Mobile data will take much of the business, as I wrote in 2005: http://www.tomw.net.au/nt/networked.html#wires
Posted by tomw, Monday, 6 November 2017 10:43:42 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lets see; Labor gave $11b to the NBN's biggest competitors and then is surprised, Surprised, SURPRISED that it funds the roll-out of G5. G4 stymied NBN, G5 will kill it.

Just like failed renewables, a failed engineering / technical project designed by Arts degree incompetents.
Posted by McCackie, Tuesday, 7 November 2017 4:54:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy