The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Regulate first, ask questions later > Comments

Regulate first, ask questions later : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 6/10/2017

Living in Australia sometimes feels like living in a bureaucrats' version of a spaghetti western. The heroes are the brave and all-knowing public servants.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Green advocates will tell you geothermal energy is sustainable green energy? But is it?

It seems geothermal heat is the product of nuclear decay of both thorium and uranium. And we have thousands of years worth of thorium stored in granite.

If geothermal applications are sustainable, then the materials that produce thermal heat are also sustainable!?

The only thing preventing the use of thorium, is asinine regulations! Nothing more!

Just moribund asinine regulations and or, labor party, no nuclear power policy!

Why?
Because it's labor party policy!
Yes I know, but why?
Because it's labor party policy!
Yes we all know it's labor party policy! You've told us enough times!
What you haven't ever or won't explain is why!?
Because it's labor party policy! are you dense?

Go back to, Why? And repeat! Keep going, you've only just started! Again! Again! Again!

ENERGY CRISIS? WHAT ENERGY CRISIS?

Beginning to see a, [born of regulation or unmitigated rank stupidity,] pattern yet?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Saturday, 7 October 2017 12:25:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The problem outlined here, is one of accommodation. The problem with accommodation sharing through any format, has local council regulations at the heart of it!

This property, on the beach front in a NSW coastal town dependent on the tourist trade, is zoned residential zone two, which allows me to operate a brothel, (and specifically states that), or a small private business, (which it does through a service to local industry), but is specifically prohibited from short term holiday leasing to tourists for holiday accommodation.

Last week, the local council issued a mail out order, threatening all such short term accommodation providers outside a defined zone for this purpose, with threats of a fine between $3k and $6k dollars, for any violations of the zoning orders specific to short term leasing.

Effectively, this has an outcome which will decimate a $300m tourist industry in the town and its surrounds, by eliminating accommodation for tourists outside caravan parks.

Currently, the state government is attempting to define what constitutes a short term rental.
The author is on the mark!
Posted by diver dan, Saturday, 7 October 2017 3:28:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm in favour or more regulation, particularly in regard to the way politicians spend taxpayers' money.
Posted by mac, Sunday, 8 October 2017 8:49:10 AM
Clover Moore put $110,000 taken compulsorily from ratepayers for other purposes into a publicity campaign for SSM.

Years ago she would have had to resign over that.
Posted by leoj, Sunday, 8 October 2017 9:04:13 AM
Something really has to be done about local government.

At least the Mitcham and Marion councils (Adelaide) are showing some sense. A Marion councillor wanted to get on the change Australia Day band wagon. When it came to a vote, his was the sole vote for it!

The Mayor of Mitcham has said that councils need to pull their heads in and stick to their core business or they take the risk of being seen as just another tier of government and abolished as unnecessary.

There is no constitutional requirement for councils; they are not even mentioned, so they could be abolished.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 8 October 2017 10:25:46 AM
If I had my druthers, some of the things I would regulate out of existence include. Middlemen profit takers/learners!

Remove these folk and their ubiquitous activities inside commercial Australia! And straight away you literally halve the cost of living/doing business!

I'd remove the absurdly asinine laws that forbid, yes forbid R+D into peaceful purpose nuclear power.

Specifically thorium power.

What is it about, tried proven and not found wanting, thorium power that the fossil fuel industry and big nuclear alike, fear so much!?

Their own death knell perhaps?

Then I'd reverse the hollowing out of regional and rural australia by the systematic disassembling of cooperative capitalism that used to be our sugar mills, butter and cheese factories, cotton gins, leather tanneries, wool spinners and dyers etc.

And instead left rural and regional Australia, with few options other than sell the farm/invite foreign debt laden, tax avoiding/profit repatriating, speculators/gas fracking and coal mining instead.

And took the third wealthiest nation on the planet and a creditor one at that, down to somewhere south of number thirty, and mired in debt!

And claimed as progress on all sides of manifestly moribund politics?

Lastly I'd re regulate our tax laws to make paying some tax unavoidable. Profit today, ought result in some reasonable tax today!

Deferring paying a fair share made manifest by investment/borrowing strategies specifically designed to create a loss and self evidently, just to avoid tax!? Must be regulated out of existence!

Company tax currently varies between a reported 1-4%, with 40% of our transnational guests paying no company tax to any jurisdiction?

And a little (loudly bellowed) tinkering at the edges has failed to prevent millionaires/multinationals from seeking shelter, in tax havens/family trusts etc.

Resistance comes from those with a vested interest in the status quo/most current serving and retired pollies?

Otherwise the assisted by regulation? Rorts and ripoffs/risible taxpayer funded retirement pensions/entitlements, would end tomorrow?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Sunday, 8 October 2017 10:49:48 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy