The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Greens and the campaign for a woman’s right to choose > Comments

The Greens and the campaign for a woman’s right to choose : Comments

By Sylvia Hale, published 21/9/2017

Its defeat, when every member of the Liberal and National parties voted against it, ensured that NSW would continue to be out of step with modern medical practice and community opinion.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. All
Is Mise,

I’m not sure what to say to that. That would indeed result in reduced societal health.

<<There could also arise the situation where women lose all rights and forced pregnancies become a matter of Government policy.>>

I doubt that will happen any time soon, though, given the direction we’ve been heading in since the Enlightenment. There seems to be a pretty damn strong correlation with increased education, a drop in religiosity, and the respect for womens rights and bodily autonomy.

I suspect it would take some sort of an apocalyptic event to drag us back into another Dark Age like that.

--

Shockadelic,

The underlying social issues largely mirror the social issues which lead to an increased risk of offending:

http://www.bmj.com/content/339/bmj.b4254.short
http://www.cdc.gov/teenpregnancy/about/social-determinants-disparities-teen-pregnancy.htm

I dare say the means of best addressing the problem would look very similar, too. But I’m sure that you, as a right-winger, will be very keen and quick to dismiss any of that, even without any evidence to the contrary. So, why bother asking, really?

--

Not_Now.Soon,

I didn’t mean to make it sound as though we had agreed. However, the evidence is overwhelming stacked against you.

<<… when you say "we discussed this," you say it as if I agreed with you, or that your an authority on the matter.>>

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3194801

The evidence is the authority.

<<To not promote abstinence sounds like to me to give up on the problem entirely.>>

No, we could reduce the rate of abortions using methods that have actually been shown to work: lowering poverty rates, improving education, providing better access to contracteption.

<<As of now sex is something that is expected of way too early in a relationship.>>

Actually, this has been changing for a while now. Teenagers and adolescents nowadays are having less sex than ever before:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/06/22/teens-having-less-sex-and-using-more-protection/419285001

Perhaps it’s related to the lower rates of poverty, lower rates of religiosity, or improved education which I had noted earlier to both yourself and Is Mise?
Posted by AJ Philips, Thursday, 28 September 2017 3:12:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Toni Lavis "No, you can still get STDs from non-reproductive sex."

There are non-reproductive acts which reduce or eliminate the possibility.
Did I need to explain that in *detail*?

"The maths doesn't work."

Only a small number of doctors perform a large number of abortions.
And there would be fewer abortions if illegal, so even fewer doctors involved than now.
Those few doctors must then be successfully prosecuted.
So very few doctors imprisoned.

Your argument could justify imprisoning no person for *any* crime, since the cost is enormous, while the victims are a minuscule fraction of the population.
Practical!

"very heavy on the ideology, couldn't give a toss about the practical."

Sex education, cheap conception, reduced or no immigration improving work prospects of young people and reducing importation of primitive sexist ethnicities who wouldn't dream of using a condom (or even asking consent).

AJ Philips, see above.
Posted by Shockadelic, Thursday, 28 September 2017 7:48:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//There are non-reproductive acts which reduce or eliminate the possibility.//

Yeah, sure, but mutual masturbation... I mean really, what is the point?

Look, you can't live your life in fear of the Pox: they can cure it with antibiotics, and the odds of getting it from cunnilingus are zero. Be educated, be aware, but don't be paranoid: with sensible precautions you can avoid the nasty ones.

Although you probably have herpes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU4VcOQzQm0

//Those few doctors must then be successfully prosecuted.//

Yeah, good luck with that..

//Sex education, cheap conception, reduced or no immigration improving work prospects of young people//

Actually, those do sound practical... although I think you meant cheap contraception. You can get conception for free.

//reducing importation of primitive sexist ethnicities who wouldn't dream of using a condom//

Too late, the place is crawling with left-footers already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUspLVStPbk
Posted by Toni Lavis, Thursday, 28 September 2017 9:01:19 PM
Toni Lavis. God loves you, even in spite of your hate towards Him. I hope He reaches you because I know He does love you. But between you and me I know I have limits to my patience and enduring your immaturity. I hope you are just a young punk who hadn't grown up yet, instead of an adult who still doesn't know how to be mature. But either way I don't have the patience for you. May God find you and clean your heart. Regardless of our differences of views the simple matter is that your actions here show that you need a better, cleaner heart. May God be with you on that task.

AJ Phillips.

[No, we could reduce the rate of abortions using methods that have actually been shown to work: lowering poverty rates, improving education, providing better access to contraception.]

I support those as well. I'm not saying to toss those out. Just to reinforce them with the knowledge of abortion being wrong, and why sex before marriage is usually a bad idea. Yesterday I was reading an article of a court case. About a man who killed his girlfriend a year or two ago. The testimony of the girl's mom showed that the relationship was rough, expecially at the end. And it brings back to mind the issues of many abusive relationships where the one being abused keeps going back. Having moments of tenderness and passion are one of the elements that keeps these relationships alive. It's not just for abortion I say we need to wait till marriage. As a society we need to be better then this.

[Actually, this has been changing for a while now. Teenagers and adolescents nowadays are having less sex than ever before]

That's great news. Thankyou for sharing this. I'll look into it later. :) :)
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Friday, 29 September 2017 2:42:19 AM
//God loves you, even in spite of your hate towards Him.//

No, you've got that all backwards. As a pantheist, I love God, but it does not love me. Pantheists don't believe in anthropomorphic deity.

//I hope He reaches you because I know He does love you.//

Oh, it already has. I don't believe that it's possible to not be reached by the pantheist God, even if you don't believe in it.

//But between you and me I know I have limits to my patience and enduring your immaturity.//

In other words: you're a pretentious snowflake who dislikes people that people who speak in a vulgar manner - vulgar in this case being used in archaic sense to mean 'language used by ordinary people' from the Latin 'vulgus' meaning 'common people'.

Just one of those stuck-up twats that think they're better than anybody else because they've been 'born again', and never mind the fact that pride is a sin.

//May God find you//

It never misplaced me to begin with. I'm right where it left me.

//and clean your heart.//

My heart is fine. I had to see a cardiologist a few years back after a GP detected a heart murmur, but it turned out to be benign. The old ticker is in great shape.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 29 September 2017 7:58:23 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy