The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Party discipline and democracy > Comments

Party discipline and democracy : Comments

By Peter Bowden, published 6/9/2017

The expectation that the elected members of a party toe their party line is the complete antithesis of democracy.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Democracy: a rabble begging a psychopathic guidance system . A point in Australia already reached!
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 6 September 2017 8:44:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Surely the elected representative should represent the wishes of their electors.
It is high time the party system was made illegal.
The person most qualified for the task is given it to do unlike the present system.
Posted by ateday, Wednesday, 6 September 2017 9:09:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We all know this, yet we keep on voting the same way election after election. Not much point in discussing it, really.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 6 September 2017 10:04:11 AM
Joining a party, with a charter of known rules and expectations! Is not what you do, if you want to hold private non party positions? Particularly when you are able, with persuasive reasoned logic, to argue a preferred position in the party room!

[Ve haf vays of makink jew enchoy jaw zelf!]

If that's not doable? Then the "Lady" in question has the right to resign and stand as an independent! Jawohl?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 6 September 2017 11:08:33 AM
How typical for an academic member of the elite to get it so wrong.

Unlike academics, employed or retired, most of us have to work more than a couple of hours a day for our living, & do not have the time to research the possible voting intentions of each & every candidate standing in a single seat, let alone the senate, with it's cast of thousands.

So Peter, we vote for a party, or perhaps against a party, or it's even it's leader. Often we have no knowledge of the individual candidate in our electorate, let alone their personal beliefs. We expect them to faithfully follow the party line, because we at no time voted for them other than as the representative of that party.

Of course I would expect someone like to be pro the EU rip off that the Poms have suffered for years. Organisations like the EU, & thousand of Quangos here, have very lucrative & prestigious opportunities for senior academics to grow rich, while wasting taxpayers money.

I understand it is galling to you that some of the common herd, hell even tradesmen, can earn as much as you, & your vote is no more important than theirs, [thank god], but mate you'll just have to learn to live with it.

God don't we need to trim academia, down to the useful, rather than the useless & fat.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 6 September 2017 1:54:24 PM
We all know that we vote for a person that will represent our view in Parliament, or the view of the majority of people in the electorate. That's how it's supposed to work.

The reality is that the person representing the Electorate is picked by the Party to Represent the Party's view. The Party's view may or may not represent the general view of everyone in the Electorate, that's why we have different Party's.

Some of the people may agree with all the Policies of the Party, some of the people may agree with most of the Policies of the Party. Those people will vote for the Party, regardless. Some of the people may not agree with many of the Party's Policies at all but still vote for the Party because; that's what they've always done, "My Husband/Wife/Father voted for that Party so that's how I vote. A lot of Australians are really not all that fanatical about any particular Party.

It's because of the Fanatical Party followers that nothing ever gets done. Politicians rely on those types of people for their support.

I don't like the Greens because of their Communistic views, their fanatical support for Drugs/Gays/Political Correctness at any cost, etc. There are a few things of the Greens that I do support, but not the way they go about supporting that particular Policy. Likewise with LNP/ALP/ON/Independents. I apply the 80/20 Rule. A particular Party may represent my view on one Policy but not on another.

The Elected Represented of any Electorate, in most cases doesn't represent the Communities view. He put forward his own view then all the Representatives reach a Consensus of Opinion with some heavy persuasion from the Upper Ranks of the Party. The Elected Representative then "has" to hold the view of the Majority of the Elected Representatives not the view of the people that have elected him.
Cont...
Posted by Jayb, Wednesday, 6 September 2017 3:11:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy