The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Discovering the real history of our peoples > Comments

Discovering the real history of our peoples : Comments

By Graham Young, published 1/9/2017

The uproar over the use of the word 'discover' is the latest skirmish in a war over two equally mythical views of Australian history.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 18
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. Page 21
  10. 22
  11. 23
  12. 24
  13. 25
  14. All
Minotaur,

I don't know or really care where you live. Yes, I am probably much older than you, at 75. I agree with pretty much everything else you write in that last post, except for that last assertion.

Toni,

There's a little place in Beirut which might have had the maps.

Sorry to see you go, foxy. Please come back :)

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Saturday, 9 September 2017 9:01:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Where facts are known it's possible to twist words. I hope more science can be used to correct this word-butchering:

Archaeologist 2015:
"When you look carefully , the striations are diagnostic of an steel weapon..in experiments on bone in the United States , edged weapons and swords create traumas very similar to the man from Toorale. Bizarrely, the skull wounds on Toorale Man appear similar to those on gladiators in Imperial Rome.. They're around 170mm in length,. The scans reinforce the theory that the cuts were made with a long, sharp, light blade, .But the idea that these injuries were caused by a steel sword is contradicted by the radio carbon dating. ."

2016:
" Could sharp-edged wooden weapons from traditional Aboriginal culture inflict injuries similar to those resulting from later, metal blades? Analysis indicates that wooden weapons known as 'Lil-lils' and the fighting boomerangs ('Wonna') both have blades that could fit within the dimensions of the major trauma and are capable of having caused the fatal wounds., the boomerang is the most probable candidate for the main trauma. . Of the weapons tested, the frontal wound observed in Kaakutja most closely resembles that produced by an African ‘Samburu’ sword.. only a traditional, Aboriginal, sharp-edged weapon could have inflicted the trauma. . The pattern of trauma on his skeletal remains is not previously documented in the Australian archaeological record, . The nature and expression of trauma suggests that edged weapons from traditional Aboriginal culture had the capacity to inflict injuries similar to those by edged metal weapons.. "

2017 :
"..they have no experience of wooden weapons .. The ethnography is clear that these weapons created trauma patterns similar to that documented in Kaakutja. There is rock art in the region showing people in combat using wooden weapons.. The OSL and C14 dates on the remains pre date metal in Australia."

-
Can you find the tricky bits? Where did the naughty man tell fibs? Draw a picture of ethnographic expression of trauma patterns using traditional African rock-art boomerangs not previously seen in documented pre-metal dates.
Posted by nicknamenick, Saturday, 9 September 2017 9:21:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//I wonder what is about the name 'Leo'...seems it bestows a special type of ignorance and inability to recognise their opinions are not fact and easily countered.//

An astrologer could have a field day with this question. But I don't believe in that shite, so I think it's probably just coincidence.

Although it could be some sort of reverse nominative determinism, whereby cockheads gravitate to the handle of Leo because they think the name will bestow some sort of noble character upon them.

//nicely done by 'nicknamesnick' who described Joseph Banks as Joseph Wnks//

So now we're going in for character assassination of botanists?
Really?

We're not talking about some mass-murderer of Aboriginals here. Banks was a scientist. He liked plants. I know it's very trendy to be fanatically opposed to anybody with even a vague whiff of colonial oppressor about them, but you're drawing a very long bow there.

He came out with Cook, collected lots of samples, then went home. Where he proceeded to make Kew Gardens the best botanical gardens in the world. Trying to paint him as the enemy suggests that you're straying into an extremist camp of the history wars.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Saturday, 9 September 2017 9:24:34 AM
//There's a little place in Beirut which might have had the maps.//

Sounds unlikely... but please elaborate.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Saturday, 9 September 2017 9:35:54 AM
Sorry Toni, I just learnt that it had burnt down. So no evidence, I'm afraid. But you can take my word for it: that's what progressive people do, it seems.

Strange, it used to be devout Catholics who believed without question. Moslems too, sin ce the Book tells them to. Communists too, I have to admit. It certainly saves thinking, and invariably gives you an enemy to condemn, usually doubters and thinkers who, unfortunately have to be ...... extracted.

Plus ca change ......

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Saturday, 9 September 2017 10:26:28 AM
//Sorry Toni, I just learnt that it had burnt down.//

Beirut? Nah, it's still there mate. Or at least, if it's been burnt down then the fourth estate have been awfully quite about it, which is not like them at all.

I'm a bit cynical about where you're getting your evidence from, Joe. It's not the bloody History Channel is it?
Posted by Toni Lavis, Saturday, 9 September 2017 11:11:56 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 18
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. Page 21
  10. 22
  11. 23
  12. 24