The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Facts about the phonics screening check > Comments

Facts about the phonics screening check : Comments

By Jennifer Buckingham, published 28/8/2017

It’s astonishing that much of what is written in opposition to the Phonics Screening Check is inaccurate.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Well, I just don't know.
This pseudo-words business, my curiosity got the better of me and I just had to go and investigate - who exactly came up with that rubbish?

Its one thing to teach sounds like 'at' as in 'The fat cat shat on the mat' (again); but teaching kids the wrong words, saying 'they don't know any better in Grade 1', words like 'bam' goos' 'zack' 'plock', these are bloody comic book words out of Batman fight scenes.
Are you teaching kids reading with comic books now?

Holy crap, I'm not sure if this saga is getting better or worse.
Think I'm gonna go with worse, since I'm maybe not sure which planet I'm on.
Comic book words? Really?
http://www.lcp.co.uk/phonics-screening-pseudo-words

Seems like laziness on the part of idiot teachers who's own reading skills never got past comic book stage, or perhaps that's how those teachers themselves learned to read?
(comic books come after you actually learn to read, when it should be picked up on that those pseudo words are in fact pseudo words)

All I know is this, go back 30yrs ago, and more or less every single kid learned how to do it, good enough to get by.
I could say that kids aren't sitting around reading choose your own adventures anymore like we did as kids, and are on gaming consoles and youtube instead.

But sureley gaming consoles and computers provide opportunity to read as well, so I can't help thinking that a big part of it is teachers curriculum.

I'd say the blind leading the blind, but it's more like the illiterate leading the illiterate.
Comic Books!!

I wonder whether theres a point a person gets to in life where they reach a pinnacle, where the world is just so full of crap that nothing surprises you anymore.
Teaching kids to read using comic book words, maybe this is it for me and it's all downhill from here..
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 29 August 2017 3:01:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How on earth did we ever give up on things that worked to embrace things that didn't work?
I thought as a society of intelligent civilised people we were supposed to only give up tried and true ways of doing things in favor of new ways ONLY if they were proven to be better.

What the hell happened?
How did it all come to this?

As human beings it seems to me that we don't actually do this at all.
There may be a bigger problem here than kids having difficulty learning to read, in that we've become so pathetic we've lost the ability to teach it.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 29 August 2017 3:22:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy