The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Should Christians read the Bible? > Comments

Should Christians read the Bible? : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 11/8/2017

We are dominated by ideas of the sufficiency of the common man and of egalitarianism. It is enough, we think, for the common man to sit alone and read the Bible.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I had arguments with Sellick years ago which went nowhere, so I'll be brief. The advice of saints and sages over the ages to "Know thyself," "The Kingdom of Heaven is within you," etc, points to a universal truth, whether or not you believe in God. We might find useful advice in the Bible or other written sources, but we can directly experience reality only within the framework of our own minds and bodies. We are a microcosm of the universe and find truth within. We consist of particles of energy arising and passing away with great rapidity, no solidity, no continuing entity, no "I, me, mine" but a transient process. Understanding this, we can free ourselves of past conditionings, of the craving and aversion which constantly drive our reactions, learning not to react but to act with wisdom, in the interests of ourselves or others. There are elements of this in various religions, but it is most clearly expressed by the Buddha (who did not found a religion but taught a practice which each individual could follow, verifying it for themselves rather than depending on the external authority which Sellick holds dear).
Posted by Faustino, Monday, 14 August 2017 1:44:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To my way of thinking 'The Church' and unfortunately Peter Sellick, are mixing religion with politics and the result is that God is therein hybridised with Caesar, which Christ warned against.

Man is corrupt and so is the church.

Salvation lies with God and not with Caesar or the church.
Posted by deadly, Monday, 14 August 2017 1:49:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
When it gets right down to it, what we need to consider is what the churches are teaching verses what the bible says. If the church ignores scripture, or teaches country to what the bible says, then it is wrong. If the indivual does this after reading the bible then they are wrong. But being familiar with it will not harm a person's faith. It will only help so they can have more means of discerning what is true, and what isn't concerning what's from God.

Arguing that the people of faith need the church I agree with. But not for the reasons that Sellick gives. People need eachother, good fellowship will help many people. That's the church body more then the church orginizations. That said it is good to have the insight of those who have studied and have good wisdom. In one of Paul's letters he gives recommendations for giving people the status of being an elder or a leader of the chuch communities.

No matter how it's looked at though, reading the bible is valuable to anyone of the Christian Faith. Sellick is dead wrong in his assessment that it should be removed from the common Christian's knowledge base.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Tuesday, 15 August 2017 10:57:38 AM
Dear Faustino,

Why do you say that Buddha did not found a religion?

Don't the practices which he taught lead people to God?

It is one thing to verify a given path, yet much harder to stumble upon such a path on one's own.

---

Well said, Deadly!

---

Dear Not_Now.Soon,

«If the church ignores scripture, or teaches country to what the bible says, then it is wrong.»

The question is, whether the bible as we have it is a religious scripture.

We have plenty of evidence, including by reading between the lines of the bible itself, that the bible was contaminated in many places with politics. Many of the stories there, for example, were written or modified by the southern kings of Judea as propaganda to besmirch the northern kingdom of Israel and assert their own dominion as well as justify their own murderous behaviour.

Can the average person distinguish between the spiritual gems therein and the political rubbish and late modifications of the original text?

Some, unfortunately, both individuals and churches, fall for the politics.

«People need eachother, good fellowship will help many people. That's the church body more then the church orginizations»

Great observation - Buddha called it 'Sangha', from the Sanskrit 'Satsanga' - association with the virtuous.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 15 August 2017 2:57:08 PM
Dear Yuyutsu, you hold that the bible (as we have it) has been corrupted. I have to come to other conclusion. Two reasons. 1). If God is real and did have any influence in the bible, then He can protect His words, and keep them safe. The first reason I do not believe the bible to be corrupted is because I trust God. 2). That reasoning then leads to the questioning of if the bible ever was scripture from God. After reading it, my findings are that God teaches through them and that they are reliable. The second reason for trusting the bible is semi spiritual experience reading the bible or reflecting on it through life. I agree with the idea that all scripture (Old and new Testiment) are Spirit filled.

If you can give examples of the corruption of the bible? So far I haven't heard any that stands with good merit. At least not from anyone who has faith in God. (Though I admit I've never had to look to disprove it.). The exceptions to that are from those who usually have no faith that God exists and their conclusion are usually based on the arguments where God doesn't exist. Those arguments are equally hard to trust, because of my own observations.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Tuesday, 15 August 2017 5:16:27 PM
Dear Not_Now.Soon,

I am re-reading the book "That's Not What the Good Book Says" by Professors Avigdor Shinan and Yair Zakovitz. While I'm reading the original in Hebrew, they also wrote an English version: "From Gods to God". This review can explain my views on this matter: http://repository.upenn.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1003&context=jewishstudies_papers

«1). If God is real and did have any influence in the bible, then He can protect His words»

But does He want to?
Can you point to anything that was not influenced by God?
Nothing of course can happen without God (it's even meaningless to speak of such), but given that God allows man to modify other things in this world, then why not this book?

«2). That reasoning then leads to the questioning of if the bible ever was scripture from God.»

How could anything possibly NOT be from God?

Parts of the bible indeed originated as scriptures by Prophets of God, but they were not the editors of the completed compilation.

The Old Testament can also be called "The National Heritage of the Jews". At some stage, the Jewish leadership collected and published as one volume all the documents which they considered important for keeping the nation together. This included spiritual wisdom, instructions and inspiration, but it also included historical stories and other secular materials. The two Professors trace in detail, using careful comparison within the bible itself and with other scriptures, legends, translations and classical interpretations, how the Old Testament was modified and censored.

«my findings are that God teaches through them and that they are reliable»

For you they are reliable: since you approach the bible with a pure heart, God will not let you down. YOU have these spiritual experiences, but others might not.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 16 August 2017 1:25:27 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy