The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Should Christians read the Bible? > Comments

Should Christians read the Bible? : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 11/8/2017

We are dominated by ideas of the sufficiency of the common man and of egalitarianism. It is enough, we think, for the common man to sit alone and read the Bible.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Mr Sellick,

Throughout your article you referred to "the Church" but I didn't see where you defined what "the Church" was?

Do you refer to the Roman Catholic Church, Orthodox Church, Protestant Churches, Westboro Baptist Church, Pentecostal Churches, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc?

I'd like clarification on the authority to which you refer as "the Church".
Posted by OzSpen, Saturday, 12 August 2017 9:36:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To my mind 'the Church" is any organisation, whether established along franchise lines or not, promoting spiritual beliefs with a financial return being expected and realised.

A place in heaven for a fee...with money back guarantee

sign up folks and reserve your place.......we have it on good authority that your pets are also eligible to join you....for just a fraction more.
Posted by ilmessaggio, Saturday, 12 August 2017 7:12:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ask yourself, then act accordingly: "How likely it is that reading the bible would help and inspire me to become Christ-like?"

- or any other book for that matter.

You can find gems in the bible, but much of it is contaminated by politics. Which would draw your attention? Which would you pick up? Look into your heart, then decide.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Saturday, 12 August 2017 9:58:42 PM
"I have a friend who teaches Grade 1 religious instruction in a Qld state school."

Well that is very scary! What the hell is going on in Qld whereby religion is permitted to be taught in a state funded school? I am glad I live in WA.

As for those good Christians, well like all sky pilot believers they should be permitted to read the bible and any other fictional book they can find. Me I like to read facts, makes life so much more enjoyable.

Geoff
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Saturday, 12 August 2017 11:44:16 PM
I'm on Diver Dan's side here - Peter Sellick do you really believe this prose?
Posted by SAINTS, Sunday, 13 August 2017 9:34:32 PM
"How else could so many American Christians vote for Trump, the epitome of narcissistic individualism." People voted for Trump in rejection of eight years of bad government, not in their interests, under Obama and faced with more of the same, or worse, under Clinton. Nothing to do with religion.
Posted by Faustino, Monday, 14 August 2017 1:33:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy