The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What's behind Australia's exploding indigenous population? > Comments

What's behind Australia's exploding indigenous population? : Comments

By Brendan O'Reilly, published 5/7/2017

The first issue that ought to provoke scepticism relates to the states/territories with the highest measured proportions of Indigenous people in their population.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I've just come across this posting and I would like to put my bib in also. Firstly, most importantly, I wish to establish a base line from which to start. The method of determining whether someone is of a particular nationality or not is very simple and cannot be contaminated by 'political correctness'. If BOTH parents are of the same nationality, for example they are both aborigines and their lineage can be shown not to have been broken or 'contaminated' by partnering with a non-aboriginal, then any off-spring are of that same nationality. If one of those children has a child by ANYONE other than another 'pure blood' aborigine, then the off-spring or children are NOT of that nationality and therefore NOT aborigine.
So the net result is easy to determine if we employ the courage to tell these 'wanabees' that they are not aborigines but just another boring Australian, because obviously they regard them selves to be better than the rest of us 'mere mortals', when in fact the opposite is closer to the truth. Not long ago a well respected and well known 'Elder' said that all these people claiming to be aborigine, to stop it. They, he called them 'wanabees', were, 'stealing not only money and benefits from the true aborigines but also giving them a bad rep' for trying to capitalise on what was clearly a fraudulent or dis-honest act. The true number of aborigines can easily be found by removing anyone who did not come from a 'pure blood' aboriginal couple. End of story. This is just another example of 'political correctness'. I came from an Italian background. Both my parents lineage can be easily confirmed. I married an Australian, oh and I was born here also but in the 'correct' world my wife is Ausy, where-as I am (to be correct) Italian, I just happen to be born in Australia. So in conclusion all these 1/4, 1/24, 1/163 'cast', I'm sorry your not an 'ABORIGINE', so get off the gravy train and stop your criminal activity. BTW, my kids are regarded as AUSTRALIAN!
Posted by ALTRAV, Wednesday, 19 July 2017 12:55:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rarely have I come across such unmitigated rubbish as that posted by ALTRAV. A great display of complete dearth of understanding about what it means and is to be an Aboriginal person (note the capital 'A') in Australia though. For starters there is a Federal Government definition that states to recognized as an Aboriginal person the following criteria must be met:

- being of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent
- identifying as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person
- being accepted as such by the community in which you live, or formerly lived.

All of these things must apply. The way you look, any percentage of ancestry or how you live are not requirements.

People with Aboriginal heritage/ancestors have a unique connection to over 60 000 years of ancient cultures in this nation. It matters not how far removed one is from their Aboriginal ancestors as the link is always there. Trying to compare that link to having ancestry with no connections to this ancient land is foolish and ignorant.

As to the 'gravy train' that comes with Aboriginal identity, it would be nice to know where the station is so those of us not on it can board it. Aboriginal people are recognized as being over-represented in lower socio-economic statuses, more likely to end up in jail, have far lower life expectancy, have lower educational attainment and more likely to get a number of life threatening diseases. Hell of a train to be on is that one!
Posted by minotaur, Wednesday, 19 July 2017 1:28:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Minotaur, I and millions, yes millions of Australians dis-agree with you and your assertions. You may not like it but that's the way it is. Your attempt to justify calling yourself an aborigine is nothing if not a pathetic attempt to explain an otherwise weak point. So according to you just having an ancestor is enough to choose what you want to be, because you, 'have a connection to the land'. You can abuse and insult me as much as you like it won't change anything. You see I know who I am and my self worth, it appears that in your case, you don't and are clutching at straws if you think we are somehow going to hold you in high esteem for being 'special'. As far as most of us are concerned you are Australian, and that's it! Why you get this special treatment is purely because some politicians decided it would make them look good to show they were helping to make things better for your people by throwing money and grants at you and your cause.
And has it helped? NO! I won't go into the reasons but suffice to say I believe the 'TRUE' aborigines should be given assistance towards a better life and living standards but not at the expense or detriment of the rest of us, who are the majority.
Posted by ALTRAV, Wednesday, 19 July 2017 2:12:34 PM
How about addressing my comments and points instead of making an ad hominem response ALTRAV? Or do you not have any decent counter points to make?

By the way, I don't consider myself special and nor do I get any special treatment. I've never sought to be treated differently than anyone else. For me, and I cannot speak for others, I take pride in my Aboriginal heritage as it makes me an Aboriginal Australian and the criteria in place says that is legitimate. And if a few million ignorant and racist non-Aboriginal Australians don't like it then too bad.

I note you could not answer my query about the 'gravy train' you allege exists.
Posted by minotaur, Wednesday, 19 July 2017 2:35:28 PM
Hi Joe, hope you recover quickly from the knee operation. Really appreciate your dissection of the statistics. Very interesting indeed!
Posted by minotaur, Wednesday, 19 July 2017 2:38:43 PM
manitaur, the gravy train I refer to comprises of billions of dollars and govt assisted benefits and hand-outs, such as cars and so on. There are too many to mention, and anyway you know exactly what I am talking about so don't try and push 'political correctness' down people's throats to justify your stance. 'the criteria in place that says that is legitimate', sure to people like you, but remember we didn't legitimise what you are trying not to say. The govt, in their twisted wisdom created this situation. And if it makes you and your followers happy and gets my point across, I don't mind being called a bigot, racist and every other name you can come up with because I just don't care. If I am so irrelevant why are you bothered to even post anything in response to what I may say or think. Here's a thought, just ignore me. I have the right to say whatever I want (within the terms of reference) and you and others have the right to ignore me.
Posted by ALTRAV, Wednesday, 19 July 2017 3:23:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy