The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Islam, Married at First Sight and the 5:2 Fast Diet > Comments

Islam, Married at First Sight and the 5:2 Fast Diet : Comments

By Kuranda Seyit, published 16/5/2017

In the 19th century under the title of Orientalism, Islam was lampooned by various philosophers and writers of the time.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
All very interesting. Everybody has a smattering of history, and their interpretation of it. At the root of food, marriage and religion is the fact that every society needs all three. The first two are givens whatever definition we care to give marriage. So we're left with religion. Opinions about this are as old as humankind. The difficulties arise when the `squeaky wheels' whoever they are, think that their opinion is a closer version to the truth than the opinions of others. My unqualified view is that our inability to accept difference causes a huge amount of negatives. Arguments that boil down to the `us' and `them' doesn't really help in losing weight. And the more extreme the views the `weightier' the consequences. Perhaps what we need is a marriage of John Lennon's "Let it be" - he believed these were words of wisdom, and a leaning to looking for the positives. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that any extreme is dangerous, in whatever religion, according to the most basic understanding of the history we have. It is really unfortunate that Islam has been married to terrorism, Catholicism to sexual predators, Buddhism to political maneuvering. It stands to reason that broad scale attacks are going to prompt propaganda wars.
I'm reading that Kuranda is an undisguised Muslim who is trying to douse the fire. I'm reading she is hurt by labels that do not fit.
I do not follow any religion but I recognise that the foundation of their beliefs, Christian, Islam, Judaism etc are fundamentally good and sound, and have contributed to generosity, love, kindness and so on. If believers of whatever flavour are added to the cake mix then we benefit. Our politicians are feeding upon disharmony and it's shameful. It's at odds with a country that used to stand on the foundation of `a fair go'/ multiculturalism / reward for labour.
Our Australian laws are attempting to provide a foundation of tolerance, order and stability. They override any religious law, sharia or otherwise, and they protect against extremism.
It's food for thought if you're hungry.
Posted by The Thing Is, Wednesday, 17 May 2017 8:55:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Thing Is:

“and have contributed to generosity, love, kindness and so on. If believers of whatever flavour are added to the cake mix then we benefit.”

Generosity, love and kindness are not religious qualities – they are human qualities. If some humans can have these qualities without religion then why not all? Why do some people exhibit them as a natural consequence whilst others only exhibit them because their religion tells them to?

Generosity, love and kindness that come from the heart are much more preferable to those that come out of a fear of God or an emotional dependence on religion. They are much more dependable and reliable than religious ‘good works’ since the givers have nothing to lose. Their actions are not dependent on any ‘benefits’ that religious givers hope to obtain. The quality of their giving is unreserved by selfish motives.

Society does not benefit from this religious deal making and in fact it is diminished by it. It is artificial and contrived and fundamentally self-serving. We can well do without more selfishness disguised as morally superior care and concern.

Whatever the religion may be it is founded on the hope of reward for the religious person. Every religion says to do good to your fellow man or else you will not reap the rewards. People who do good without enquiring about rewards are the true salt of the earth and religious people are the burden of all societies. Look at the cost of their so called religion and Islam in particular. We do not want their generosity, love and kindness if that is the price we have to pay for it. Give me true and selfless generosity, love and kindness any day.
Posted by phanto, Wednesday, 17 May 2017 10:10:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Getting back to topic: there's an article in today's Australian identifying a sheikh at a Melbourne mosque who 'married' a14-yrar-old girl to a 34-yer-old bloke and was taped saying to her 'You must obey everything your husband asks you to do.' Something like that.

Oh, hello, Yassmin, I didn't see you there. And Susan's there too ? Hmm, you're both very quiet. Oh, you're busy talking to Eva Cox ? That explains it.

Of course the poor bloody girl is going to do whatever her husband asks of her, she's only bloody fourteen. And imagine the pressure from her family if she wanted to come home. This sort of thing might be 'necessary' in some backward society - I was listening to a song about a shepherd girl and thinking, well, yeah, 'that''s bound to happen - but not in today's Australian society, where (surely even the left would grasp this; no, maybe not) equality and opportunity are available to both men and women, they're part of those general values what we should be trying to inculcate amongst any migrants.

I hope the sheikh and the girl's father go for pandering or soliciting, and the 'husband' goes for rape.

Meanwhile, on a completely different topic, the Muslim School in Greenacre (Chullora) in Sydney is up for embezzling millions of public money, with the Muslim land-owning body charging huge rents, sometime five years in advance. It sort of makes you think that there shouldn't be any such things as religious schools, at least not funded by public money - but I suppose the left would be outraged at that suggestion. Except for Catholics, of course.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 18 May 2017 2:00:15 PM
' Meanwhile, on a completely different topic, the Muslim School in Greenacre (Chullora) in Sydney is up for embezzling millions of public money, '

Yeah Loudmouth proven to be a very common practice in Islamic schools in Australia funded by the taxpayer. No wonder they were excluded from RC on child abuse. The national broadcasters hate for Christ ensures that.

Problem is that just like those muslims from Iran who came by boat claiming to have lives in danger (only to return for holidays and brides) you have the most dumbed down judges and bureaucrats in history allowing this fraud.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 18 May 2017 2:10:45 PM
Yes Loudmouth, I had always wondered about the science progress that
happened in Baghdad but a documentary showed that that progress
actually came from Uzbekistan. The progress in science puzzled me as
the Arabs have a custom of marrying their cousins so they have never
been able to make much in the way of scientific development.
The same situation developed in Spain with the Moorish occupation.
However I have not been able to determine if the Nth African Moors
indulged in cousin marriage. They did intermarry with the Jews and Spaniards.
It is interesting to note the very low number of Arab Nobel prizes.
Compare them against Israeli Nobel Prizes.

The so called Islamic burst of knowledge just did not happen because
their marriage custom of cousin marriage prevented any such thing.
Still today their IQ is significantly lower than other populations.
In the UK in Pakistani areas the large number of children in special
classes caused special reports to the House of Commons.
There is a spark of hope a womens association has been formed to
oppose cousin marriage but they are under attack as they are considered to be unIslamic.
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 23 May 2017 5:06:51 PM
Hi Bazz,

Yes,the early Muslim invaders may have been great at ordering the copying of ancient scientific texts from other times and places, but it boggles the mind to think that any scientific discovery can spring, fully-formed, from desert camps or peasant villages.

Science takes time, discovery building on discovery, experimentation upon experimentation, testing, trialling, drawing wrong conclusions and having to go back to an earlier stage of knowledge, and trying again. Of course, scientific development also requires a supportive environment, not likely with a rigid doctrine-bound notion of truth and reality.

And in those days with very primitive 'knowledge technology': even telescopes hadn't been invented back then. You can only work with what you've got, and if you haven't got it, nothing much happens.

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 23 May 2017 6:10:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy