The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > It shouldn’t be Australia’s job to liberalise Muslims > Comments

It shouldn’t be Australia’s job to liberalise Muslims : Comments

By Gary Johns, published 26/4/2017

The struggle over the soul of Islam in Australia is taking place in the mosques, in the universities and in public life.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Another commentary (and many subsequent simpleton comments) that does the same old generalizing about Muslims and Islam. That is akin to making the extremist Christian group, the Army of God, as the only definer of Christianity. Islam, like every other religion, has a diversity of interpretation and following and to keep talking about it as some sort of single entity is disingenuous or simply naive.
Posted by minotaur, Monday, 1 May 2017 12:42:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Minotaur,

Of course Islam, like all religions, has a myriad of sects and different interpretations of the Koran and the hadiths. That's really a straw-man, that you knock down and set fire to.

The point of Gary's article, as it says in its title, suggests that it is ultimately the responsibility of Muslims to reform Islam, to bring it in line with the modern world in which Muslims live, along with the rest of us. Personally, I'm more partial towards the Ahmaddiyah positions.

Of course, just like many Christians, many Muslims may privately have misgivings and disagreements with the basic principles of their particular sect, and as Gary suggests, there is not much that any non-Muslims can do about that, except to offer our friendship to our fellow-Australians during those long-term struggles.

As long as Muslims, and all Australians, hold generally to the public value such as equality of the sexes, the rule of law, the separation of religion and the state, and 'a fair go' for all, they will hopefully make those changes eventually. It's their journey.

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Monday, 1 May 2017 1:51:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Your argument needs numbers to back it, minotaur.

Is it only a few crazed individuals that carry extremist views, or are they just the ones that take action? How reconcilable is Islam, generally, with western values? See under "Assimilation" at
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/pages/articles/opinion-polls.aspx#assimilation

I have a French couple staying with me who have fled their country in fear of the way they see things headed there, especially with a new Turkey in the wings, and they're seeking residency and citizenship here. You may find that a little hysterical from your chardy-sipping perch, and perhaps a little pointless given our own immigration policy.

I'm no fan of any religion, and would prefer to accept only atheist refugees. Religion intolerance is the bane of human existence.
Posted by Luciferase, Monday, 1 May 2017 1:58:22 PM
No, I do not need numbers as my point is valid without them. And the vast majority of Muslims in Australia appear to be integrating well and many of them have been born here, so well and truly Australian. None of the Muslims I know as friends or teach at university try to push there religion on me or anyone else...unlike many Christians. There is one group that prowls my neighbourhood every weekend pushing their Christian religion and beliefs on people. Another group preaches in the streets and organizes events that they don't state will be religious but then force their message on unsuspecting people.

However, they are not the only faces of Christianity. Just as there are many faces of Islam.
Posted by minotaur, Monday, 1 May 2017 3:16:02 PM
What does the holy book of Islam - the Koran - say about those not misanthropic enough to accept the instructions it has for all believers? That set of instructions targets us - non-Moslem Australians including those silly enough to appease it.

http://freethoughtnation.com/what-does-the-koran-say-about-nonbelievers/

It's all there - every single line. It's directed to all Moslems, from "radicalised" all the way to those trapped in it and wanting out, or merely trying to keep their heads down. The Koran's hate speech is to Islam as Mein Kampf was to Nazism. There's no wiggle room. Read it.
Posted by EmperorJulian, Monday, 1 May 2017 4:47:55 PM
Emperor Julian,

There is always wiggle room.

Not all Muslims practice
their religion in exactly the same way.
Muslims come from a variety of countries,
a variety of cultures, speaking a variety
of different languages. Placing them all in
the one group is not logical.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 1 May 2017 5:03:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy