The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Green energy economics > Comments

Green energy economics : Comments

By Stephen Cable, published 21/4/2017

Like a knight in shining green armour they’re riding over the energy landscape on a policy steed to save you ‘up to’ $370 per year.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
doog.

The intended purpose of all batteries is storage.

How does your big 650 amp hour battery control release of it's power?

I have long term background running a 110 volt DC lighting plant on a station 200 miles west of Bourke and I consider it is the type of batteries that will determine viability of green energy.

In recent years I have been using solar on a remote tropical Pacific island where weeks of cloud often reduce power supply.
Then when the sun shines it is intense, non stop till sundown.

Battery life is a big problem there, both with lead acid and gel.
Deep cycle batteries are not available there.
I paid top price for a new 12v x 90 amp hr lead acid 4wd/RV battery but it lasted only 3 years on a 40 watt solar panel with solar controller, to run a 500 watt x 220v inverter.

I am trying to find what makes your big battery last so many years as you say.

Is the key in some type of battery output controller you have there, maybe especially included inside the battery?

I have used a 200 a/h battery for brief welding, so what actually makes your 650 a/h hold back amperage even to start a car?

I am trying to understand your battery to find how you can get so many years of use.

Bear in mind a solar powered household freezer in Tasmania will use less power and therefore less battery recharges than a freezer at the equator.
Posted by JF Aus, Monday, 24 April 2017 8:58:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have no idea how glass mat battery controls release of power. All I know they are specifically for solar storage and use. They are completely unsuitable for anything to do with a car. Both terminals are at the same end and about 10 mm in diameter.
The battery can be mounted in any position and 100 percent sealed.

You should never use lead acid batteries for storage. Unless they are 2 volt fork hoist battery.

Car batteries are for storage, how many starts without charge is the point
The difference between those batteries is when it drops below 12 volts it has to be charged. A real storage battery can down to 10 percent charge and still give 12 volts of power.

Mine are nine years old now, no doubt they have improved or altered since.
I think the AGM battery was American at the time I got mine.

Marine batteries are far better than lead acid also completely sealed and deep cycle.
Posted by doog, Monday, 24 April 2017 10:59:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Doog,

Thank you so much for that info. Key words there are "glass matt".
I Google'd glass matt batteries and found a wealth of info such as here:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm

The "Heat loading and battery life" hyperlinked info is of great interest to me, especially the temperature factor (tropics).

I hope you will not be too disappointed because somewhere in the info I read that batteries of the 1990's were expected to last 20 years but have since been found to last only 10 years.Maybe you have one year remaining.

I can see that solar linked battery education is vital to achieve green energy viabiity and sustainability. Lots of lead involved.
Posted by JF Aus, Tuesday, 25 April 2017 1:05:33 PM
It's a tough call, privatization V publicly owned.

With privatization you get the greed of CEO's stopping AT nothing to ensure they get paid well,and will not let anything get in their way, even job losses.

Then you have the likes of the public health system where timelines are not as important as 'when is my next rdo' or smoko break so I can pluck an extra long weekend. Meanwhile sick people line up for hours on their feet just to be seen.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 25 April 2017 6:40:25 PM
Maybe that is the sticking point. If you are sick you should arrive by ambulance, as ambos are your first screening. If they will not take you because they bo not run a taxi service. You are not sick enough to go to hospital. Make an appointment to see your own doctor.
If you walk into hospital you will be accessed by a nurse as to your urgency. Then you wait in line to be seen. If you leave the hospital in disgust, go and make an appointment to see your own doctor.
If you genuinely believe you have waited long enough, stage a pass out and lie motionless on the floor. They will scrape you up and try to find out what you are there for. After you have spent six hours on a trolley under obsivation, they decide to send you home with an aspro for a headache.

An emergency is an emergency. You would expect some signs of injury or pain to be there in the first place. If you can not demonstrate any of the above make an appointment for your own doctor.
Posted by doog, Tuesday, 25 April 2017 8:29:26 PM
The greens are advocates for low electricity prices in the same way that Genghis Khan was an advocate for peace.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 26 April 2017 5:54:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy