The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Abortion coercion: the NRL still has a long way to go in its treatment of women > Comments

Abortion coercion: the NRL still has a long way to go in its treatment of women : Comments

By Rachael Wong, published 20/3/2017

We need to train our health professionals and pregnancy counsellors to detect when women are seeking an abortion under duress and to act accordingly.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I think this is an interesting case and there's more than meets the eye.
Everyone made good contributions to the discussion.

In respect of Abortion:
Should the woman have the right to teminate a pregnancy even if the man wants to keep it?
(Woman say's 'I opt to terminate my egg donation')
Should the man also have the right to terminate a pregnancy even if the woman wants to keep it?
Man says 'I opt to terminate my sperm donation'
(Giving 'equality' and 'equal choice')
Should both parties be required to give consent for an abortion to occur?
'We opt to terminate our....'
Or should we respect the right of the unborn and neither party has the right to terminate it?
Which we do, but we argue over when the right time is.

Then there's the payment thing.
This is new and where does that lead?
Now we'll see women using it for extortion "20 grand or you're on the hook pal"
And was 'taking money' (instead of responsibility) as a payment to destroy an unborn child not also somthing that might be considered immoral, and should it be unlawful?
- Wrong to coerce? What about wrong to accept payment?

Hey Aiden,
I wasn't really arguing so much in regards to money as much as I was arguing for 'equal choice' as the other commenters already mentioned, however in the above example I specifically am.
I should've worded what I wrote in the previous comment better.

Of course you did also make a valid point in regards to the 'role model' factor of sports stars.
Personally I'd question why we uphold footy players and other ssports stars as role models so much in the first place. Not everyone can realistically become a sports star.
Though they're in the public eye, why should their lives be any more scrutinised than CEO's for example?
Or alternatively why should their private lives be scrutinised any more than any other regular person?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 21 March 2017 9:15:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To suggest she "accidentally" got pregnant nowadays is laughable. She got a big pay cheque and by acting all distressed and "hard dun by" was hoping to extract another.
Posted by McCackie, Tuesday, 21 March 2017 10:57:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
McCackie, I doubt any of us know enough detail to suggest that the accidental part is not real. I don't mind some scepticism but I'm also aware human make mistakes. Contraception is not foolproof. Both of them had options to either engage in safe sex or not engage in sex. It's possible that both thought contraception was at play and it wasn't or maybe caught up in the moment. The men involved had options and ones that for those who engage in casual sex make a lot of sense regardless of the fertility issue.

It's the double standards that follow that should bother us, not assumptions about motive unless there is a reasonable evidence to the contrary.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 21 March 2017 8:19:51 PM
Get real R0bert, she ain't from a Nunnery, sportsmen are hunted down by "Ladies" just for this purpose.

Remember, it was not rape, it's her body under her total control. I don't see he has ANY responsibility to give her anything but the time of day.
Posted by McCackie, Wednesday, 22 March 2017 5:10:18 PM
McCackie, neither are the men involved from a monastery.

I've no doubt that some do as you suggest. I'm not comfortable though with any position that assumes guilt in a specific situation without a lot more evidence than I've seen in this. The women had control over the choice to keep the child or not. Both men and women have as far as I'm aware in these cases control over the circumstances that lead to the pregnancies (within the limits of protection afforded by contraception and or self control).

As I understand it no one was forced to participate in the sex act.
I've heard nothing to suggest that anyone was forced to participate in unprotected sex (not foolproof but fairly effective).

If the males involved have not been advised to the risks associated with what appears to be easy access to casual sex that seems to be one of the "perks" of their job I'd be really really surprised.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Wednesday, 22 March 2017 5:30:18 PM
Like most things I read here on abortion, this article makes no sense. It's only value is in showing how depraved our society has become.

If our abortion laws can be so vicious and callous towards women and the unborn, then there is no moral position left to take. As abortion is free and available for any and every reason, then these men are doing nothing wrong. They are simply falling into line with the values established by the law makers of our society.
Posted by Dan S de Merengue, Friday, 24 March 2017 8:16:20 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy