The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Free speech confusions: Australia's Q&A program > Comments

Free speech confusions: Australia's Q&A program : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 17/3/2017

What Monday's conversation tended to ignore were other concerns that have tended to hollow out, if not entirely sabotage, the notion of free speech in the Australian context.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
The extreme Left members of the panel all seemed “divorced” from reality, particularly that nasty little hobgoblin, Mem Fox. The indigenous lady seemed to be on the verge of tears all the time; the Canadian singer, or whatever she was, mumbled away, but said nothing. The 'director' wanted everybody's money, and the bald bloke with the owl-glasses made a fool of himself saying he liked football – and also wanted everybody's money.

I watched Q&A online only because I had read that there was a kerfuffle with some clowns calling Bill Leak a racist, as usual. That also turned out to be a non-even, reaffirming my long-held view that you have to be a bit of a dill to watch the stupid programme.

The line up of creeps I will never allow to be inflicted on me again, represented all of the stupidity and and lack of awareness that haunts society today.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 17 March 2017 9:34:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One of the scariest comments I hear, ( and it was there in force on your ABC) is "I'm in favour of free speech, but....". What follows the 'but' is always a rationale for destroying free speech.

We had Fox saying the attacks on 18c were all about making it possible to offend and insult. A complete misunderstanding of the argument.

The promoters and supporters of 18C use it to censor speech based on their claim to be insulted and/or offended. That's a very different kettle of fish. If someone can close down the expressed thought because they find it insulting, there can be no freedom of speech.
Posted by mhaze, Friday, 17 March 2017 10:19:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I used to watch Q+A religiously, now I hardly bother. between an abrasive endlessly interrupting moderator, who allows some to ramble on, cuts others short. Then fails to control those who just want to use it as a convenient political platform for a diatribe, that often fail the fact check test? Is just not my cup of tea

. Nor is the lack lustre vetting of the Audience, with some turning the joint into a complete circus that just destroys the notion of free speech, along with the flow of competing ideas!

To date there has not been an in depth discussion on that panel pertaining to our important future energy policies, when we can't use coal!?

And so amply highlighted in S.A., which seems a little short on coal assets, or "affordable" but blessed with abundant nuclear resources.

As for Bill Leakes, I thought he made an important cut through comment, with hard hitting satire, that had some jumping up and down with ( never let an opportunity go by) confected rage? Given it hammered home some (if the cap fits) unpalatable truths?

And pertinent to other cultures like that of disadvantaged African America, marked by a preponderance of single mums and absentee dads?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 17 March 2017 10:24:41 AM
Apologies, "affordable" applying to our gas, pumped from our ground! Mr Wetherell seems to think he can use gas, but just fails to understand that's is a market we no longer control! Be it for domestic distribution or domestic pricing policy!

Confected shortages of energy products, With the most abundant, least costly, ruled out! Have not only forced up the international price, but welded us to it!

Given we have, via our (cash and carry) leaders, completely abrogated any semblance of control of this resource!?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 17 March 2017 10:35:43 AM
You have to be a dill to watch the programme. Someone called bill leak a racist.
Is ttbn for free speech or against it. Is ttbn a dill or not.
Posted by doog, Friday, 17 March 2017 11:29:44 AM
Brilliant article.

Congratulations to the author.

I used to be such a fan of Mem Fox (Loved "Possum Magic")
But it appears that old age is catching up with her.
But that's not a "nice" thing to say is it?
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 17 March 2017 4:00:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy