The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Can Israel fight a war on three fronts? A nightmarish scenario > Comments

Can Israel fight a war on three fronts? A nightmarish scenario : Comments

By Alon Ben-Meir, published 16/3/2017

Because of the increasing Iranian threat, Netanyahu should do everything in his power to negotiate a peace agreement with the Palestinians.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
VK3AUU

'Runner, the state of Israel is built on sand. It's reason for existence is built on the myth that the Jews are God's chosen people.'

ignorance of history of the highest order.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 16 March 2017 5:29:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Fool,

Since you admit that "Israel is hopelessly divided from within", you cannot also claim that "Israel is not interested in peace" - some Israelis do, others don't.

«Israel has one of the most over valued currencies of all, this means their utter dependence...»

The Israeli currency has been especially strong in the last couple of months since pumping began of natural gas from Israel's territorial waters in the Mediterranean sea where large reserves were found. This is similar to Australia's position during the mining-boom, yet despite the high Israeli Shekel, Israel is a technology giant and continues to export hi-tech products: this week Intel bought an Israeli hi-tech company (Mobileye, producing driving-safety-enhancement products) for about US$15-Billion.

---

Dear David,

You need to differentiate between slogans and reality as well as between "Jews" and "Israel": Israel is not built on the myth that "Jews are God's chosen people" any more than, say, claiming that "Australia's culture is based on Ned Kelly's example".

Even from a purely biblical point of view, the Jews' keeping their land is conditional on their observance of the biblical commandments (which, probably to your delight, is pretty low at present) and God's eventual forgiveness of their former trespasses - having provided no specific dates (other than "at the end of days"). The fact that a secular entity called "the state of Israel" exists and flourishes proves nothing about God's forgiveness or otherwise towards the Jews. In fact, about 25% of Israel's population are not even Jewish.

Israel will probably survive even better without such Messianic ideas (as if God has already redeemed the Jews and given them back their land), but it's sad to hear that you are happy for all its citizens (including my family) to die as collateral damage, just so you can prove some rhetoric point to Christians.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 16 March 2017 11:09:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What an idiotic thing to say, Alon Ben-Meir.

You can't negotiate with people who demand your complete extermination. I'll bet you don't get invited to any bar mitzvas. I have always found it strange how a person can become a traitor to their own people. I know it has become a fashion statement among left wing North European Protestants, but what is your excuse?
Posted by LEGO, Friday, 17 March 2017 3:03:57 AM
Oh noes, Israel will have to fight on multiple fronts...however will they cope?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-Day_War
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yom_Kippur_War

This is just another in a long line of false assertions. First postulate a disasterous scenario and the assert that there's only one way to advert said disaster, which, surprisingly, is the author's preferred outcome no matter what the issue.

If you think that creating an enemy state on your borders is a solution to fighting on multiple fronts, then I have this bridge I'm selling which I'd like to discuss with you.....

Will Israel have to eventually fight Iran and its proxies? Maybe but not certainly. There's every chance that Iran's current sponser, Russia, will convince it to hold back. And if fighting did ensue, there's every chance that Israel would find surprising allies in the Sunni block who are terrified of a more powerful Iran.

Even if the author is right that, sans a two-state solution, war will ensue, Israel has other options. Maybe it'd make sense to take out Hezbullah and Hamas now while Iran can't help.

I'm sure the author would go along with that, right? You know, to save Israel. </sarc off>.
Posted by mhaze, Friday, 17 March 2017 9:57:12 AM
Is Israel supporting Islamic State?
Sure looks like it to me.

I heard a story yesterday that Assad's forces shot down a F16.
This morning I came across a news article which said the incident happened near Palmyra.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/syria-fires-missiles-at-israeli-warplanes-20170318-gv128i.html?

The problem with this is that the only forces near Palmyra are the Syrian Arab Army and Islamic State, see for yourselves.

http://syria.liveuamap.com/

This adds to the fact they have provided medical care to at least 2700 rebel fighters since the war began.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Sunday, 19 March 2017 10:35:19 AM
Oh almost forgot, they were also buying stolen Syrian oil pumped by Islamic State, trucked on to Turkey and sold to Bilal Erdogan.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Sunday, 19 March 2017 10:39:47 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy